High efficiency problem with a kit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taekwondd

Reaction score
I have been brewing for awhile and have my AG system dialed in to stay in the high 80's for efficiency most of the time. I just got an Oktoberfest Lager AG kit that has all the grain mixed and crushed. When I punched the recipe into my Beersmith I'm going to end up around 1.076 for my O.G. but the kit says 1.064-66. I would prefer to stick to the gravity the kit calls for but I worry about taking some grain out before my mash.

I'm considering taking a gravity reading after my mash to see how much higher it is. If it is a lot higher than Beersmith says my boil gravity should be I was thinking of continuing my sparge until I dilute the wort down, then take the excess off and maybe use it as a little experimental bonus beer.

Any thoughts or advice?

I believe most kits plan on an efficiency between 65-75%

As you mention, I would be tempted to leave the grain bill unchanged, and if I came in with higher than expected gravity just increase your water volumes.

Good luck!

I believe most kits plan on an efficiency between 65-75%

As you mention, I would be tempted to leave the grain bill unchanged, and if I came in with higher than expected gravity just increase your water volumes.

Good luck!

It didn't even occur to me that they account for lower efficiency in the kits until I received the order. I'll try increasing the water as planned and hope for the best. Who knows, maybe I'll get enough extra to make a gallon with some other hops I have laying around.

Thanks!

Some of that efficiency hit will be in the grain crush. I always get lower efficiency on morebeer kits than from my lhbs grain. About 65% vs 75%.

Some of that efficiency hit will be in the grain crush. I always get lower efficiency on morebeer kits than from my lhbs grain. About 65% vs 75%.

Bingo. You could run it through your crushed and probably get your normal efficiency, or tell your brew software to calc a lower efficiency. My guess is you'll hit their expected O.G. if you just brew it. Kyle

I figure with the 10% hit i should come in right on the high end of their gravity and probably be ok. We'll see on Monday.

Sure enough, brewed today and ended up with a 72% efficiency. Had the OG come in right where it needed to be. I guess the crush is the reason I have higher efficiency.

Back