High copper levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadStrong

Reaction score
Hey guys I noticed recently that my tap water has high copper levels due to new pipes. It's so high that my cold water has a green/blue tint and hot water is blue. How is this going to effect my beer?

Bottled water is cheap... if you're worried about your water in ant way, go with bottled...

Are you drinking and cooking with it..?

That's not healthy. There are ways to clean and pacify those pipes. It's usually old copper salt and mineral deposits that create the blue-green water. They do flush out eventually.

Im definitely going with bottled water from now on. Old pipes? The city put new pipes in the street and that's when I noticed the colour change. Well really I only noticed the colour change when filling my primary bucket for sanitation that I couldn't rinse the blue out of it. I am only on my first batch so I've never filled a bucket with water to notice if this is a new problem or long running. My LHBS selling reverse osmosis water so I'll be using that from here on.

Latest posts

Back