High alcohol taste.. very warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HodgsonsBrewer

Reaction score
My 2IPA has a high alcohol warmness to it. I have read that this will mellow with time. Should I allow it to stay in its secondary or should I let it mellow during bottle conditioning?

It will mellow in the bottle, but it may take a while. Was your fermentation temp high? A proper fermentation should eliminate this from the start.

Yes my temp was set at 66F. My starter on the other hand really wasn't big enough. I added wlp001 to a 1000ml flask and let it go for two days on a stir plate. 8 hours before pitching I turned i stirrer off to let the slurry settle out. The slurry was only MAYBE an inch thick in the 1000ml flask. I OG was 1.088.

Yes my temp was set at 66F. My starter on the other hand really wasn't big enough. I added wlp001 to a 1000ml flask and let it go for two days on a stir plate. 8 hours before pitching I turned i stirrer off to let the slurry settle out. The slurry was only MAYBE an inch thick in the 1000ml flask. I OG was 1.088.

That is nowhere close to enough yeast, which is probably your problem. Yeast stress can produce that hot alcohol flavor. I hope it mellows out in the bottle, but I can't say for sure whether it will or not.

Eric

Back