High ABV Cyser, questions on recipe/aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollofrost

Reaction score
Well I just got back into brewing in a big way (went all grain) and decided I might like to try my hand at something a bit more interesting. The goal is to make a cyser with an ABV of 20%.

Partially I want to go for such a high ABV mead for the challenge, for the heck of it, because it sound fun. But it's also in part because this coming April marks the ten year anniversary of my father's death. Since fate has a sense of humor our birthdays are one day apart and the last day I saw him alive was on his birthday. I want to do something special to remember him by.

The plan is to bulk age the mead for a year then bottle and dip the tops in wax. Then each year I'll open one or two bottles.

Recipe

4.5 Gallons Local Apple Juice
10 Pounds Local Wildflower Honey

Stage One:
1 Qt Starter (White Labs High Gravity Ale)
2.5 Gallons local unpasteurized apple juice, wild yeasts killed with campden tabs (OG 1.060)

Stage Two:

Once fermentation has really started blend 2 Quarts of apple juice with 2.5 pounds of honey and yeast nutrient. I have a Vitamix that will literally BOIL water so I won't have any issue getting the honey into suspension. This will hopefully provide enough aeration to keep the yeast going. Add this to the primary.

Repeat over following weeks until all ten pounds of honey have been used.

Stage Three:

Once fermentation has stopped take a reading and transfer to CO2 purged Corny Keg and let sit for one month. Add clearing agents and probably sulfides and wait one more month. Transfer under CO2 to second keg and let sit for an additional ten months.

Stage Four:

Bottle, cork, wax, cellar. I've got a year to reach a decision exactly how.

Thoughts? Helpful suggestions? Advice on how much and what kind of nutrient to add? This might end up aging for a decade so should I add sulfites?

Back