Hide Rhino Farts with Candied Pecan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elodar

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a batch that just finished 8 weeks in the primary and I transfered to a secondary today. When I started it the yeast took off like crazy, blew out the airlock, and stank bad of rhino farts. I stirred it to get the smell out and let it sit for a week. That didn't help so I added some Fermax and let it sit for 2 months. Tasted it while transferring today and it still has a hint of rhino farts in it. Is there a way to pull the smell/flavor out now? I was going to use half of it to make a candied pecan cider. Do you think letting it sit on the pecans for a couple weeks will hide the rhino?
Thanks for any help.

3 gal local cider heat pasturized
3 gal fresh pressed juice
campden
pectic enzyme
WLP775
Fermax

Hydrogen sulfide is the result of poor fermenting protocol (and, sometimes, the selection of yeasts that are prone to produce large amounts of H2S). You stressed the yeast and they returned the flavor (sic). You might try whipping air into the cider (stirring is not aggressive enough) and you might try racking so that the cider runs down the wall of the target (the secondary) fermenter. This also helps aerate the cider (YES! there is a risk of oxidation but that is a risk You already have an actual clear and present problem). A third possible option is to rack through copper wool (the kind you find in the supermarket used for scouring dishes). The copper will tend to bind with the sulfur (copper sulfate). Copper Sulfate is poisonous in large amounts but here the quantity would be microscopic. Best approach , though is not to stress the yeast.

Latest posts

Back