Hi from Phoenix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99bajakid

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've wanted to get into home brewing for years now. I made the plunge, well realistically i've dipped my toes, and received a brooklyn brew kit (IPA). Its been fermenting for a day so far, I don't have much faith because I know I screwed up a couple steps. :smack: That's part of the process though. :)

I'm excited to be here.

Just for S n' G's i'll post where I know I screwed up.

First of all the brooklyn brew kit is an all grain kit, and before I started I read some directions that you should boil 1 quart per lb of AG. I stupidly assumed because it was a one gallon batch, that it was one pound of grain. When I heated 1 quart of water to the right temp I added in the grains.. immediately I knew I screwed up. So i quickly did a googled to see what the weight was, and the first result was amazon.. yeah.. after adding 6 quarts to my almost overflowing boiler and having time to reflect on what I had hastily done, I realized that was the entire shipping weight of the kit. DOH! Watered down mash :(

Next I read it's better to get the dry yeast going with some sugar, and water after filtering out the grains from the mash. Retardedly I thought at the time what better yeast starter to use than the natural wort, after all it's sweet (yes I tasted every ingredient, and every step of the process :)) Well, I probably killed the poor buggers by scalding them.

Final error, since I assumed I probably killed my yeast, I pitched in some more dry yeast after cooling the wort. It started to bubble after an hour in the carboy, 6 hours later there was some foam, and a constant bubble rhythm going. A good bubble every 30 seconds or so. I'm wondering if I should just toss it, and start anew. :tank:

Cheers everyone! I'm sure to have some yeasty questions in the near future after I read a couple threads, i really love unfiltered wheat beers, and abbey style brews.

Welcome, and don't toss it, let it develop and see how it turns out. I bet it will be drinkable. But you can get going on your next batch now!

Yeah, I decided not to chuck it, mainly because its my first brew :) I'm going to get a hydromoder today because I noticed the bubbling has subsided down to nothing (i think). I've watched it for about 10-15 minutes yesterday.

Thank you! I noticed you're in Gilbert.

What kind of yeast do you use in this hot weather? I usually keep the temperature around 82 during the day, but since I started this batch i've kept the thermostat at 75... which I know will be costly if I keep it up. :cross:

Welcome. If you can, something like this will drop the temp even more. After you put the fermenter in, add the water. The water will wick up the towel and with the fan blowing across it, it'll be that much cooler. Some folks even add ice to help.

image.jpg

I don't know why I didn't think of that :) - how many degrees on average does that drop the wort?

that's pretty significant :) the brew is currently sitting pretty at 75* right meow.

p.s. - it smells fantastic!

Welcome fellow phoenix brewer! It's not easy with the high temperatures and suspect water, but we make it happen! Yeah get that towel set up with a fan and find a way to keep the towel wet and your temps will be just fine! Don't forget to post pictures when it's done!

yeah, the water here is gross, luckily I have a crappy R/O system that probably needs some filters to be changed, so atleast some of the taste is removed, but not all of the "good stuff".

I have a couple pix of how it sits right now, not all that impressive, although it is my first brew - so I am impressed :p

99bajakid said:
Thank you! I noticed you're in Gilbert.

What kind of yeast do you use in this hot weather? I usually keep the temperature around 82 during the day, but since I started this batch i've kept the thermostat at 75... which I know will be costly if I keep it up. :cross:

My first batch was the tub of water, wet towel and fan method. I even had a pump on a timer that would wet the fan down every hour. I now use a fridge for fermentation. Temp control during the first few days of fermentation plays a huge roll into making good beer. Even if you find a spot in the house that stays cool, I've had batches jump 8 degrees during the first few days.

I've noticed! I just brewed another batch yesterday, this time a wheat beer, I cooled the wort down to the low 70's this time and by the end of the night it jumped to 80! The first part of the fermentation process must be pretty violent :)

wellp, i'm off to get a fan.

99bajakid said:
I've noticed! I just brewed another batch yesterday, this time a wheat beer, I cooled the wort down to the low 70's this time and by the end of the night it jumped to 80! The first part of the fermentation process must be pretty violent :)

wellp, i'm off to get a fan.

I had a similar experience with my first batch, I had a phenol taste and I nearly tossed it, but I set it aside in my garage a few months and low and behold, science worked its magic and that flavor is nearly gone. I like using a wort chiller and I store my brew in my basement where the temp stays ten degrees cooler consistently. Good luck with this batch and get started on a new batch ASAP !!! Making the beer is as exciting and fulfilling as drinking it!

Latest posts

Back