Hi from Niagara

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm from the Niagara region, on the Canadian side, in Ontario.

I'm new to brewing. I'm currently doing both wine and beer.

A few years ago my wife bought me a 1-gallon kit, it was all grains, no extract. It turned out incredibly well, but all that work for 6 bottles of beer didn't seem worth it.
I never got around to making more, even though I wanted too.
In 2012 we bought a house with a lot of muscat grape vines in the back yard. That year we picked the grapes and had a friend make them into wine for us. We got about 30 bottles which we split 50/50 with him. The wine was good, and I decided to make my own next time.
2013 and 2014 weren't good. We had very low yields and I didn't get the netting up in time so the little grapes there were got eaten by the robins.

For 2015 we had a great crop. We harvested on Sept 11th (I wanted to wait a lot longer to get more sugar but wasps were eating them like crazy). We got way more juice this time. From 280lbs of grapes we got 85L of juice. I didn't have near enough equipment for that so I went on to Kijiji (like a Canadian craigs list) and found someone selling 11 5-gallon carboys, a couple larger demijohns, and about 15 one-gallon carboys, plus stoppers, airlocks, etc.

So got that wine all going and I turned my attention to beer. I had picked up a couple kit cans of extract, one coopers and one another brand I can't remember.
The coopers was the real ale, but I didn't feel like doing just the basic kit. So I used the can of coopers, 1.5 KG of some amber liquid malt extract, 250g of dextrose. I also steeped 100g of crystal malt for 30 minutes, and then 10g of cascade hops for 10 minutes.
Put it all together in a fermenting pail and I ended up with slightly too much, 24L instead of 23L. Temp after mixing was good though at 27C.
I just have the lid on loosely and it's down in my cellar with the wine. In a few days once fermentation dies down I'll drill a hole in the lid for an airlock, seal the lid and then install an airlock.

I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up with sort of hodge-podging the numbers a bit. I sort of followed some other peoples recipes I found online but improvised a bit. my OG was at 1042 which looked right so I'm hoping to end up with a little over 5% alcohol. Hopefully the extra flavour I added with make up for the extra 1L of water.
My cellars air temp is about 22C fairly steadily.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm happy to listen.
I hope to become a regular on here and learn a lot.

IMG_20150917_183718219.jpg

With an O.G. of 1.040, you are most likely to get a 3.9% ABV beer. Depending on your yeast you will get a little more or a little less ABV %.

Hi all,
Bottled everything yesterday. I got 48 bottles plus a few extra larger bottles. I primed the 6 gallons with 156g of dextrose, aiming for about 2.5% co2. Did a taste test and it seemed good.

These bigger bottles I don't know how well they will hold carbonation so we'll drink them this week. They look strong but i put them in a plastic bin just in case they do explode.

Also have a bunch of wine on the go, almost 200L total.

Beer1.jpg

Wine1.jpg

Welcome to HBT.

Be really careful with those large bottles. If they're not designed to hold pressure, you could get more than a mess - like a face full of glass shards. If it was me, I'd loosen the caps and drink them warm and flat real soon (just like drinking the gravity sample). Good luck.

Thanks ncbrewer.
It seems the lids don't seal all that well on those larger ones, so the bottles didn't break.

I drank one of those with my father on Wednesday and carbonation was perfect. Drank another with a friend last night and it was getting a bit flat already.

I'll continue to just use those for wine in the future, and I'll get some larger beer bottles for handling the excess from a batch.

Back