Hi from Michigan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcapmidnoces

Reaction score
Already off to an eventful start on my first attempt at brewing! (Unless you count the fresh pressed cider I left in my closet for a few weeks ;) )

So, here we start with some mead! But, can you see what's wrong in the picture already?
20130623_143854.jpg

I'd say two things right away.
One: The airlock is not inserted fully! These tend to have the "X" on the bottom, so unless fully inserted airflow is a bit constricted.
And Two: The carboy is way too full! I didn't pay much attention when I was putting in my honey. Then when I went to add water I found out that I need to add *more* water to reach a higher specific gravity...woops
Rather than being smart and cut my losses by either pouring some out, maybe to a smaller container for fermentation even, I decided to pour water in until I hit a the "good enough" / "I can't put more water in zone" (gave a reading of 1.05). Add some fruit for flavor and pitch the yeast with some nutrients, good enough!

...or so I thought :smack:
20130623_222844.jpg

Well, not that it was entirely surprising with all the things I did wrong up to this point!

A trip to the hardware store and now I've got a simple overflow setup that I hope will help prevent any further mishaps
20130624_204430.jpg

I built it with a somewhat melted airlock (guess I shouldn't have cleaned it with boiling water after all!) and some 3/8" ID tubing.

With any luck this will continue to behave and I'll have something to rack later this summer.

Hello back, also from Michigan.
I made a similar mistake this spring with one of my summer honey wheat beers. Too full and no blow off tube. Foam all over the carpet in our master bathroom..... What a mess! The batch did turn out very good, however.
Anyway welcome to home brewing! :D

Fermentation was slowing down a bit, so decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter today. Also, I realized how wrong I was at reading the hydrometer before! I thought it started from 1.0 at the bottom, not top :smack:
So, my OG should be at a minimum of 1.10 while my current SG is 1.03. Will be adding more fruit later tonight since my attempt last time exploded everywhere and didn't add much flavor. :D

Well, over the weekend the yeast finally gave up. Whether it was the high heat (~80 F) or just the ABV, not sure, but it tastes good ;) Ended up with a FG of 1.00 which gives me a final ABV of 10 - ...more % :eek: ( I swear I'll get better about taking readings right eventually )
I moved to a new carboy for the 3rd time to get most of the dead yeast and old raspberry bits out, and will now add some fillings to get it ready for bottling.
20130716_180922_small.jpg

I might try to add some extra honey or fruit extract before I bottle though. Although the raspberries from the second pitch did add a lot of red color, I'm not really getting much of their flavor across.

Hey tcapmidnoces, nice to meet you fellow Yooper (and Keweenaw) brewer. I'm originally from the Houghton area myself, and am up there frequently. Should meet up at the KBC for a pint sometime and talk brewing. :mug:

Back