Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I often read threads and articles here while searching for brewing info and finally decided to join. I'm also a member on the sister site aussiehomebrewer.com (same username). We sometimes have a bit of a different take on brewing compared to North Americans. I've noticed there are a few Aussies on here that do a good job getting the word out about techniques developed down under. AFAIK BIAB and no-chill were Aussie inventions, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, they're great ideas.

I'm a physicist and I think that really come out in my approach to brewing and brewing science. I've been brewing for a few years now and currently brew 25 L (~6.5 gal) all grain batches using pretty primative and cheap gear - mash in a pot on the stove and use a bucket-in-bucket lauter tun (thanks Charlie via the good people of HBT for that one!). Due to limited equipment I boil two pots (half the wort in each), one on the stove and one on a small gas burner outside. I'm planning, and looking forward to building, a simple direct fired recirculating single vessel system. That should save a lot of time and effort and make the brewing experience just a bit better.

I'm looking forward to contributing to the community here.

Happy brewing.

Welcome and good luck with brewing. I started with the bucket in bucket 25 years ago, it was fun! Now I recirculate it has made a much better beer.

Thanks, jschein.

The bucket-in-bucket works great (except the dead space is pretty large) and I'm liking the beers. I'm just a little over the two separate boil pots. It's a pain to keep track of and adds a lot more effort. My current brew day is about six hours long. I've calculated my brew day using my proposed rig could be as short as four hours (no-sparge FTW!) or as short as 3.5 hours if I no-chill.

Happy brewing.

I would start with the boil pot and do full boil outside. I am intrigued by the no chill and have been reading up on it. How long do you take to get to pitch temp?

Yeah, the plan is to get a bigger burner and do it all outside in one vessel. I'm not exactly sure what you mean with your question. With my current setup it takes about 15 min to chill each pot. I'm guessing the new setup I'm guessing about half an hour. For no chill it depends. You can leave it over night to cool and pitch the next day or you can store it for many months.

G'day and welcome from Western Queensland. Sounds like you've got some serious plans happening!

Back