Hi FG what to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistbrewer

Reaction score
I made a robust porter from all grain. My OG was 1.076 and I made a starter with wyeast London Ale. A month later I checked my FG and it was 1.02. Is that still too high? It tasted decent, hard to tell. The FG is stable.

PS my starter didn't really take off and I might've underpitched.

Do I add more yeast, if so what kind? Do I leave it? I have made a bunch of IPA's and Pale Ales. But never a porter, is that normal for it?

WLP013- 67%-75% attenuation.

From 1.076, that would be 1.025-1.019.

BJCP style guideline:
Robust Porter
OG 1.048-1.065
FG 1.012-1.016

Seems you started off a bit high on the OG for the style, so makes sense that you would run high on the FG. I would guess the yeast has done all it was going to do.

I would say not to mess with it if it tastes fine and not too sweet. Better to have a batch of decent beer than risk killing it.

You do not have a "stuck fermentation" as it has fermented fully. Look up that topic for future reference, adding yeast is usually avoided.

You could always water it down at bottling time (boil with the priming sugar) to get to the target FG, but if you are happy with how it is then stick with it.

With that OG/FG, maybe go call it a Stout instead!

Back