Hey, Culligan Man!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightrain88

Reaction score
I work just down the street from a Culligan plant. They deliver our water in 5 gallon plastic carboys. Is it worth it to go to them to see if I score some used bottles or are these of insufficient quality? The nearest "L"HBS that I've been able to find is about 85 miles away, in Galesburg. Heck of a drive to pay $25 - $35 for something I can grab here fairly easily on the cheap.

Never ending debate. They are useable but I wouldn't store anything in them for too long. They are not the proper quality plastic. I personally will use them when my 5-gal better bottles are full and I need to secondary something for a week or two. Never had any ill effects.

Okay, never mind.... just got directed to a pile of previous threads on this topic that answered my question. Just goes to show that I should READ before I ask.

Culligan has been transitioning their bottles from polycarbonate (recycle code 7) to PETE (recycle code 1) The PETE is the same plastic as Better Bottles. If you make sure to get the proper bottles, they make great carboys

Culligan has been transitioning their bottles from polycarbonate (recycle code 7) to PETE (recycle code 1) The PETE is the same plastic as Better Bottles. If you make sure to get the proper bottles, they make great carboys

I just checked a couple yesterday, they are indeed coded #1

Back