He's (maybe) baaaack...Brewster Brown may have resurfaced with a new name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually I was looking at that and was gonna post something asking if anyone had dealings with him. Question answered before I even asked it! This site rules!

-R

Hmmm, really interesting thing from this I learned isn't about the disreptuable vendor but that PayPal is no help in getting your money back. I haven't needed recourse yet (knock on wood) but the fact PayPal can side in your favor and you still get no refund doesn't make sense to me. Big strike out for PayPal, and has me worried about future purchases using it.

It is the same guy...same chiller and everything. What a loser. Here is his "About Us" page. HAHAHAHAHA

enter text to welcome users and describe your business to your customers

Our contact information

By email:
Business email address ([email protected] is the default)

By standard mail:
Your business name
Street number and name
City, State, Zip code

By phone:
555 555-1212 (between H a.m. and H p.m. time zone)

Whats the backstory here?

Side note, I have been happy with Brewmasterswarehouse, and Austin Homebrew, so I will continue to patronize them.

Whats the backstory here?

Side note, I have been happy with Brewmasterswarehouse, and Austin Homebrew, so I will continue to patronize them.

Halfway through in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brewster-brown-125621/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/beware-disreputable-vendor-138036/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/anyone-ordered-www-brewsterbrown-com-123314/index3.html#post1555018

He was apparently doing good business for a while, then took a crap on buyers.....I have not done business with him, but reading in other threads there were many reports of people not getting any response from him, (but having paid him already). I just wanted to get the word out.

Hmmm, really interesting thing from this I learned isn't about the disreptuable vendor but that PayPal is no help in getting your money back. I haven't needed recourse yet (knock on wood) but the fact PayPal can side in your favor and you still get no refund doesn't make sense to me. Big strike out for PayPal, and has me worried about future purchases using it.

It is my understanding that is is better to just use your credit card without PayPal, simply due to the dispute process. If you have to dispute a charge or faulty/defective product that the comapany/seller doesn't want to reimburse you for, your credit card company will be much more adamant about pursuing your dispute.

I understand that PayPal makes it faster and easier to pay, and they claim to safeguard your info moreso than a vendor, but any reputable vendor will safeguard your info as well as PayPal. I'm not saying I've never used PayPal, and maybe it is a good idea when purchasing from ebay, but if I am to make a purchase from a vendor that I know is reputable then I won't use PayPal.

Just sayin'.

PayPal is first and foremost a way for people without the ability to obtain a merchant credit card account to access the credit card system. My company has been on the Internet for two years and no one has asked us about using PayPal, because we have a merchant account.

Yeah, that guys a POS. I ordered the XL chiller from him (should be called extra small pre chiller) and he NEVER wrote me to confirm that he had gotten my order and it took him about a month or something to send me my stuff. I had already made my own by then.

I had a link in my gmail this morning that pointed for to Sauk River Brewing Co. for a $31 50' wort chiller. I clicked to see if was right and it appears to be. There is also Muntons Irish Stout (and a couple others) for $13.99. They don't really have much but the chiller and Muntons seem to be priced fairly good. Just thought that I would pass it is. I do not endorse this website, I only found it. If any has dealt with them though I would like to know. At that price I would pick up an Irish Stout to try out.

http://www.saukriverbrewing.com/index.html

Check out the google link that popped up on this page:

google_ad.jpg

I would contact Google about that, they're very quick to pull ads when they know they're scams. A friend of mine used to approve online ads for them, they essentially approve everything until they hear otherwise from users that its a dud.

Also, it depends on if we have the tools. I love to DIY, but I know that I'll be leaving this country in about a year, so I'd rather not invest in tools. Therefore, I just buy the gear and I'll get rid of it when I leave.

Maybe I got lucky 'cause I ordered a couple of boiling pots plus a wort chiller from him and was delivered 5 days later.

Maybe my luck is changin' and it's time to do my first brew!!

Maybe I got lucky 'cause I ordered a couple of boiling pots plus a wort chiller from him and was delivered 5 days later.

Maybe my luck is changin' and it's time to do my first brew!!

Was this recently? Like I said, I'm just posting a warning, I have no personal experience with him, I just saw what others went through.

I know he was very responsive like 6 months ago, then suddenly around September a bunch of people got screwed....maybe he's changed his game now?

Was this recently? Like I said, I'm just posting a warning, I have no personal experience with him, I just saw what others went through.

I know he was very responsive like 6 months ago, then suddenly around September a bunch of people got screwed....maybe he's changed his game now?

Like my post up top, this guy is not worth it. I ordered the worlds largest chiller (lol) from him and never got a conformation e-mail or anything. Although I did get the product I ordered months later, does anyone want to even ahave to deal with the stress of wondering if they may or may not get the products they paid for?

I know I sure don't.

J

It's super Xtra Little

Like I've said, I received mine months after I ordered and a few brews after I made my own.

I now use his as a pre-chiller. Even though it is "Xtra Little," it works great for a pre-chiller. I'm almost glad this happened to me b/c since I live in Tx I would've had to make my own pre-chiller any ways.

Just to answer a couple of folks posts about "why would you buy something you can build cheaper". I'm a big DIYr (many times to my wife's dismay) but when I saw that chiller for less than I can by 25' of 3/8" tubing for it was mighty tempting. I'm glad I did a search and found the threads on this guy or I might have went for the "too good to be true deal!

Just to answer a couple of folks posts about "why would you buy something you can build cheaper". I'm a big DIYr (many times to my wife's dismay) but when I saw that chiller for less than I can by 25' of 3/8" tubing for it was mighty tempting. I'm glad I did a search and found the threads on this guy or I might have went for the "too good to be true deal!

.....and my answer to that question is that although I CAN DIY, I don't always WANT to DIY. There are different people in this world, and I was different enough that I bought my IC. Nice 25' copper chiller from Midwest, I couldn't be happier if I'd made it myself. Amazing, aint it?

Brewster Brown and associated csinsul8 Ebay account are both out of business. You can still place orders, but will only pay to have your money disappear and get no product in return. DO NOT ORDER FROM BREWSTERBROWN.com or csinsul8 of Ebay. You will get your money taken and not get anything except a lighter wallet.

I was unfortunate enough to order a chiller before I found this thread. A week later I received claims that the chillers were on back order but had just arrived and I would be receiving mine right away. Oh, and he'll throw in some sanitizer for my trouble. Sent me a UPS tracking number but never delivered the chiller to UPS for shipping. The next week I asked for an update. No reply. The next week I asked for a refund as the chiller was obviously not coming. No reply. One more effort to make contact for refund the following week. No reply. Fortunately, my credit card company has refunded me. What a jackass. Thanks to everyone for the posts here!

Just to weigh in (wish I'd found this forum prior to ordering). My brother tried to order a chiller for me for xmas. Never came, he did the CC dispute, and it was fine. Well, I didn't know he'd tried to order, so after Xmas, I ordered one. No communication, and then I found some threads about him. Started the dispute on Paypal, contacted the MN attorney general, and just today contacted the Cold Spring Police. Quick response from the Chief, of all people, who said I was the first complaint ever about this guy. He may not actually be in Cold Spring, since the (now defunct) website is registered in California.

Anyway, nice first post, I know. But I'll post an update if I get anywhere with this, beyond $31.99 lighter in the wallet

http://www.startribune.com/local/83307797.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr

Whistleblower: Beer-making supplier gets F
The online retailer didn't deliver on several orders, the Minnesota Better Business Bureau says.
By JESSICA VAN BERKEL, Star Tribune
Last update: February 1, 2010 - 9:58 PM

Home brewers, beware -- customers paid money to a local online retailer but never received the hops, malts, chillers and brew pots.

The Better Business Bureau of Minnesota issued an F grade to Brewster Brown last month and sent out a warning after six customers complained to the bureau and the company did not respond to any of them. Although 1,800 businesses and nonprofits in Minnesota and North Dakota currently have a failing grade, the bureau publicly singles out only about two every month as having "unethical practices," said Dana Badgerow, president and CEO.

Eric Brown, proprietor of the now defunct Brewster Brown, admitted that customers never got what they paid for. But he said he is a victim, too, after someone hacked into his PayPal account and took the money.

Brown said he has not made any money with his two home brew companies. "The idea wasn't to screw anybody over," he said. "I'm just an unemployed executive that just can't catch a break."

Brown said he started the business in Rice, Minn., in May 2008 as a "part-time gig," after being laid off from his job at a building supply company. He was shipping brewing supplies to customers across the country until September 2009, when he said the money was stolen from his PayPal account.

Joe Hufford, of Lino Lakes, who ordered an all-grain brewing kit for $63.82 in August, wrote to the bureau about not receiving his order or a refund.

"It's one thing for a guy to have hard times, and maybe get messed up. It's another thing if it looks like he's doing this to generate revenue without filling orders. ... That's when I got more serious about chasing the guy down," he said.

In October 2009, Brown created another company, Sauk River Brewing.

This time, instead of putting his name on the website, Brown created a fictitious general manager named "Calvin Schlegal" because he wanted to "start over." He said he intended to refund the customers of Brewster Brown with the profits from his new company, but he couldn't afford to keep the website up.

Brown said that of 150 orders received, "only a handful" weren't shipped. He said he is responding to customers on a case-by-case basis. The bureau's calls to Brown have not been answered, spokesman Dan Hendrickson said.

"Though the amount of money lost on these orders is not large, it's very unfortunate because home brewing is a growing hobby and for people who are just starting out, this leaves a bad taste in their mouths," Badgerow said.

Jessica Van Berkel is a University of Minnesota student reporter on assignment for Star Tribune.

Back