HERMS in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDirt

Reaction score
Okay guys, I need some help. I use a HERMS system and I can't figure out how to work my heat exchange method into the Mash Profile in Beersmith.

For example, I want to mash in with 1.5 qt per lb, and come to my mash temp of 153. That, I have figured out.

However, now I want to recirculate for 75 mins through the HERMS at 153. Then, I want to fly sparge at 170 degrees to collect a pre-boil volume of 14 gals. - I've been screwing around with the mash profile options for far too long and still can't make it do what I want. (yes, I read the user guide)

How do you HERMS guys set up your system in beersmith?

There's actually nothing about herms itself to enter into beersmith. Under "Mash Profile" hit the "details" button. You just set your 153 temp rest time to 75, then specify 170 as your sparge water temp, and check whatever boxes you need for your chosen sparge method.
You can actually also manually set the preboil volume you want, or I recommend just leaving the "calculate automatically" box checked, and use the efficiency and equipment numbers that you are familiar with.
Cheers!

Back