HERMS help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBHBeer

Reaction score
I have just recently acquired a 10g HERMS system that is about 90% complete. The question I have is the thermo-couplers are just above the valve on the 15g mash tun, is there going to be any issue wih temperature differences since the returing hot wort will come in at the top of the mash?

I have just recently acquired a 10g HERMS system that is about 90% complete. The question I have is the thermo-couplers are just above the valve on the 15g mash tun, is there going to be any issue wih temperature differences since the returing hot wort will come in at the top of the mash?

I suspect you will have problems.

When I was doing research to build my HERMS, there seemed to be a split between people who put the probe directly in the HLT and those that put it at the point of return to the MLT. The one place I saw it suggested to NOT put the probe was near the MLT output because by the time that things shows set temp, you might have a couple gallons of overheated wort already on top in the MLT.

Is that vessel perhaps the HLT and not the MLT?

Back