HERMS Equipment list, and estimated cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
I'm interested in building a HERMS system. I have friends that are accomplished welders and metal workers that can help me with the single tier system, and cutting the kegs for the system. What else do I need? How much should I think about spending on the whole system?

It depends on your plans for the system. Mine was a little over a $1000, what are you planning on doing

IMO there are way too many options to be able to answer such a general question. A simple HERMS with scavenged parts, no frills, minimal SS, and no automation can be done for several hundred $. Something with more capabilities and SS components and fittings usually runs into the thousands.

Things you will need-
3 vessels
at least one pump
HEX coil
heat source(es)
fittings and hoses
false bottom or manifold

Things you'll probably want-
sight glasses / level indicators
thermowells / thermocouples
another pump
temperature control
quick disconnects
some level of automation

I want to be able to do 10 gal batches (at least). I want to build a system that will hold up for a long time. I was looking to spend around $5000 on the whole thing.

I've been ordering and piecing together a manual herms system. 10 gallon batches, blichmann pots, morebeer stainless qd's, other miscellaneous ss. total estimated cost is a smidge under $3000.

IMO with a $5,000 budget you need to ask yourself if you want to build it yourself or buy something that's ready to go. The next step would be to decide between electric or gas. Then you need to decide what you want the system to be able to do. Do you want to whirlpool? Use the HEX as a chiller/pre-chiller? Full automation? How do you want to sparge? What level of portability makes sense for you? Etc, etc, etc.

IMO with a $5,000 budget you need to ask yourself if you want to build it yourself or buy something that's ready to go. The next step would be to decide between electric or gas. Then you need to decide what you want the system to be able to do. Do you want to whirlpool? Use the HEX as a chiller/pre-chiller? Full automation? How do you want to sparge? What level of portability makes sense for you? Etc, etc, etc.

The $5000 estimate is something that I would be piecing together over the course of a few months. I think I would enjoy building it myself rather than buying it ready to go. I definitely want to go gas (unless there is a specific reason electric would be better). What is a whirlpool? What is the HEX? Benefits of full automation? Not sure how I want to sparge.

I'm doing partial mash right now, and I'm really interested in stepping up, but I don't want to get half arse gear if I have the money and drive for the real thing. Should I go bigger? Should I go conical? What is the next step?

You whirlpool in the boil kettle to help separate the hops from the wort as you run your wort out of the kettle. Not sure about HEX, imagine it is a counterflow or plate chiller. Automation is a personal choice about how you want to brew, the only automation I use is temperature control, I like being hands on during the process. The source of heat is is also a personal choice, I went with electric because I was tired of buying propane and didn't want to mess with the natural gas in my house.
I would say your next step is look at some peoples systems and decide what works for you.

I'm trying to convert to electric because electricity is super cheap here, no trips to buy propane, no worries about running out in the middle of a brew session, and it's silent. Not saying one is better than the other, but electric is better for me and my situation. Electric is often a little more expensive to set up, and requires a fairly large circuit or circuits, which not everyone has. One advantage to propane is portability for things like group brew sessions.

HEX is an abreviation for heat exchanger, the central component to a HERMS, which is short for "Heat Exchanged Recirculating Mash System". It is typically a long coil of copper or SS often mounted inside the HLT. The water in the HLT can be heated and then the wort can be recirculated through the HEX to maintain or change mash temperatures. Some HERMS users fill the HLT with cold water or ice after the boil and pump the wort through the HEX so that it acts as a chiller or pre-chiller. There are a couple of examples of HERMS in the homebrewing wiki, and many others can be found by searching the DIY forum.

Whirlpooling is the act of getting the wort swirling around quickly at the end of the boil to let the hop particles and break material form into a cone in the center of the BK. The wort can then be drained or siphoned leaving all of the debris behind. The pump can be used to form the whirlpool. See here-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Whirlpooling

Automation often allows for more precise control of certain aspects of brewing, but is by no means a requirement. Being able to push a button and know that your complex step mash will hit all of it's temps and times perfectly would be nice, but I plan on a mostly manual system for myself.

Having tried both styles, I prefer batch sparging for its speed and simplicity, but it's just a personal preference, and many brewers swear by fly sparging methods.

I'd suggest reading all of the great build threads in the DIY section and the Wiki for some ideas, and to learn more about the various systems and options out there. Try to find someone nearby with a HERMS or RIMS who will let you see their system in action. Even watching someone brew an AG batch using a gravity fed cooler and keggle set up will help you figure out what you like and don't like in a brew system. Maybe start with a super basic system and brew a couple of batches before commiting to any specific upgrades. This would allow you to figure out what upgrades would work best for you.

^^ Good explanation. IMO I would do as much reading as you can before dumping that much into a system. I'm a big DIY guy, however if I had that budget I would get something professional. MoreBeer or Brewmagic make great systems.

Latest posts

Back