HERMS Coil Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerinnj

Reaction score
I purchased a 100 ft roll of 1/2" stainless tubing because I couldn't pass up the price. I'm getting ready to tackle turning it into 2 50 ft herms coils. Does anyone have any experience bending one for themselves? I don't want kinks and I am a bit retentive so I'd like it to look great. It's going into a brand new polished keggle. I was thinking of using a 10 or 12 inch pipe As a form in hopes of having a 13 or 14 inch diameter coil. Any thoughts?

Bending by hand is a royal pain in the A$$. It took me two days to do one 50' coil about 15" coils. Do yourself a favor and make a bending jig. I wish I would have my coils are not kinked but are all over the place. It works great but not pretty at all.

Ya stainless steel is a bear to bend by hand. It takes some muscle to get it started bending and kinks in a second if your not carful. When I bent my coil for my fermenter I kinked it twice but got lucky it was close to the end of the tubing so I could cut it off and start over. This might work to bend it. Its made for steel rod but is the same concept as a bending jig. The sell one for tubing to but it lists the smallest tubing size as 3/4"

Back