HERMS and a Copper manifold in the MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerrepository

Reaction score
I am still in the R&D phase of an E-HERMS build and was wondering about the viability of using my current Mash tun with some minor modifications.

My biggest concern is the manifold I use. I have a Coleman extreme 70qt cooler with a copper manifold going into a bulkhead. The manifold is currently just dry fitted in there for convenience. I am worried that recirculating through the manifold will cause it to get stuck. I can solder it so it won't come apart, that isn't a problem. The manifold has about 1/8" slots cut on the underside of it.

So does anyone do this? Or should I resign myself to building some kind of false bottom for the time being? I'm not sure that I am going to stick with this mash tun long term, but I want to be able to use it with my E-HERMS HLT once it is built. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I wouldn't solder it so you can take it apart for cleaning. The manifold construction, I would go with copper pipe. The recirculation shouldn't be an issue so long as you don't go full blast with it. Use a ball valve after the pump. Start out with a slow flow and ramp it up slowly to avoid compacting the grain bed and creating a stuck mash. Have fun!!!

Back