Here's how much it costs to grab a beer around the world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
And these don't count hotels and airports where the prices are jacked up.

cost-of-beer1024.png

Deutsche Bank analysts collected data on the prices of various services for a recent report to clients. Among them, they included how much it costs to get a beer (500 mL or 1 pint) in a neighborhood pub in an expat area of a given city in 2017.

I can confirm this is accurate, for Boston at least. But as a counterpoint, we really love our craft beer here, so that $7.20 is probably going to be something mighty tasty (Night Shift, Trillium, Lord Hobo, etc.) We've also got plenty of dives if you want a $1.50 PBR or High Life.

I'm in the real ale capital of the UK and if you exclude 'craft' then cask beer is very reasonably priced. Our pints are close to 20oz and are under $3. If you start talking 'craft' then it starts to look like $4-5. If you get into your barrel aged imperial stouts, sour double IPA's and the ever so trendy craft keg you can easily expect to start touching $12, but then the beer is going to be 14% or something crazy and people drink in 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4 UK pints as a rule. Of course London is a law unto itself as always and you can generally double these prices.

Most craft beer around here is about $4.50 ish. Depends on the "Tier" of beer being served, but that's probably close for a standard craft pint. Some places might be $5 ish.

Hard to compare when you can't compare the exact same beer.

Most craft beer around here is about $4.50 ish. Depends on the "Tier" of beer being served, but that's probably close for a standard craft pint. Some places might be $5 ish.

Hard to compare when you can't compare the exact same beer.

This. For $4.10 in Malaysia you get a slightly chilled can of Tiger or C Elephant.

I've been to 14 of these cities and Stockholm is hands down the most expensive I've seen. It's way more expensive than NYC and Paris. $8+ was the norm. Not only that, but beers purchased in store are also very low ABV and relatively expensive (all sold individually). I've attached a pic I took of one of their IPAs at 3.5% ABV and ~$2.20 USD. Their regular IPAs didn't have a high ABV and were even more expensive.

I'm leaving for the Philippines in 2 weeks and have a hard time believing that it will be more expensive than Prague. Prague is cheap, but not as cheap as Budapest, Hungary or Belgrade, Serbia in my experience.

IMG_20160604_164106.jpg

here in chicago many many bars charge by abv.

the 5.30 is pretty much dead on.

I've been to 14 of these cities and Stockholm is hands down the most expensive I've seen. It's way more expensive than NYC and Paris. $8+ was the norm. Not only that, but beers purchased in store are also very low ABV and relatively expensive (all sold individually). I've attached a pic I took of one of their IPAs at 3.5% ABV and ~$2.20 USD. Their regular IPAs didn't have a high ABV and were even more expensive.

Yeah, anything over 3.5% can only be sold in government stores. They are also relatively highly taxed and the tax rate depends on the alcohol content. I've never been to Norway but I understand they have a similar system.

I live in a small town in basically the middle of nowhere and a few years ago the local pubs jacked up their "craft beer" pint prices to the same as you would pay in the city.
I basically cut down on my pub drinking, but the pubs are still in business, so there are plenty of other drinkers willing to pay high prices.
I can go to my cooler and "grab" a 12 oz homebrew for less than 50 cents.
I'm still thinking there will be a craft beer price war someday.

Was once in a local Italian restaurant downtown and ordered a beer made by a local brewery. They had two price brackets, Import and Domestic. Imports were $9.00. Domestic was $4.00.

I ordered 3 beers while I was there and the bill came in a $27 (+fud). WTF?

I paid my $12 and the menu was changed to add "Craft/Import" by the next week (with a sharpie). :D

Back