Here goes nothing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy_Tech

Reaction score
My first foray into yeast ranching has officially begun.I made my usual starter to 1.040 w/ xldme and added the remaing inch of beer and yeast from rogue's finest chocalate stout(delicious) and Brutal ipa(also delicous).With any luck,the rejuvenated yeast will get put to work during this weekends brewing festivities.My question is as follows though..
-General procedures for "stepping up" the yeast volume,what have you guys had sucess with?Pitfalls to AVOID?

You don't mention the volume of your initial starter, but one standard practice is 10-fold increments. So a 10mL starter, then 100mL, then 1L.

+1 to what Malfet said. The first two steps should be of a lower gravity wort too (1.020), but using a normal starter gravity wort won't hurt.

My first foray into yeast ranching has officially begun.I made my usual starter to 1.040 w/ xldme and added the remaing inch of beer and yeast from rogue's finest chocalate stout(delicious) and Brutal ipa(also delicous).With any luck,the rejuvenated yeast will get put to work during this weekends brewing festivities.My question is as follows though..
-General procedures for "stepping up" the yeast volume,what have you guys had sucess with?Pitfalls to AVOID?

I have this going right now with the dregs from two bombers of Rogue Chocolate Stout. I started with .040 and about 250ml. It fermented out in about three days, and last night I ramped it all the way up to 750 and it's basically finished in 12 hours.

I don't really have a brew planned this weekend, so I'll decant and pour off into baby soda bottles for later use. Pacman is one of the easiest to culture, in my experience.

Back