Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFORD27

Reaction score
I had some vinyl soaking in a bucket of left over starsan and I didn’t realize it had some black inside. I just used it it transfer 5 gallons of 15% Pinot without realizing. I was rushing and didn’t pay attention. Usually I’m a beer brewer and the wine is new to me. Am I screwed? I’m hoping the alcohol content would help with the issue? Any comments would be appreciated.

You're wine might survive, but there's no hope for you. :D
Unknown.png

Really? Your first post since 2013?

Last edited:
You're win might survive, but there's no hope for you. :D
View attachment 728066
Really? Your first post since 2013?
Yes it’s been a long time. I was in a pinch and was looking for some support haha. I’m trying to get back into it again. 2 young kids and a demanding job have slowed me down.
Do you think I got a shot of making it through without an infection? I just added the clearing agents and degassed.

Do you think I got a shot of making it through without an infection? I just added the clearing agents and degassed.

I have no real idea. I'm a simple, extract brewer. I bottle my brews. I've never used Starsan; I just wash stuff in the kitchen sink, and I start my siphon hose with my mouth. I've been doing this for over 25 years. No problems yet, so I think you have a shot. Do you remember George C. Scott's character, Buck Turgidson, in Dr. Strangelove when he talked about the bomber getting through? Hell yes, you're going to make it! :p

5136b.jpg

Last edited:
Why worry? What's done is done.

Just hope for the best and see what happens. Though you're asking a bunch of beer brewers a question about wine.

Or did I get the question wrong?

I had some vinyl soaking in a bucket of left over starsan and I didn’t realize it had some black inside. I just used it it transfer 5 gallons of 15% Pinot without realizing. I was rushing and didn’t pay attention. Usually I’m a beer brewer and the wine is new to me. Am I screwed? I’m hoping the alcohol content would help with the issue? Any comments would be appreciated.
Sanitizing vinyl? What’s that all about?

On the note of surviving or not, you should use a food grade silicon line instead of vinyl. It would defintly be safer! I'm sure you can grab one online for under $10. :mug:

Vinyl is considered reasonably safe for food. Most vinyl tubing I've bought comes with an NSF certification.

And since they are mainly used for transfer, wort and beer won't be in contact with them long.

Vinyl is considered reasonably safe for food. Most vinyl tubing I've bought comes with an NSF certification.

And since they are mainly used for transfer, wort and beer won't be in contact with them long.
The issue would be if something broke free during the transfer, resulting in black goo chunk(s) in the wine.

The issue would be if something broke free during the transfer, resulting in black goo chunk(s) in the wine.
I completely agree. That's why I originally said what's done is done. My comment was a reply for another claiming silicone rubber hoses were safer for some unspecified reason.

I've had silicone rubber stuff grow mold or mildew. Though they weren't hoses though. I can't imagine why they'd be considered any easier to keep clean.

Back