Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gints316

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a extract winter spiced ale. All my temps were where they were suppose to be. I cracked it to take a gravity reading and got a slight banana smell and taste. I know this is from too high a fermentation temp., my question is should I use a secondary and hope it diminishes or just carb it, keg it and forget it.
This is only my second batch ever.
O.G. 1.047
Now it's 1.011

Leave it in the primary!
Give us some details. Yeast. Yeast starter details. Fermentation time. Fermentation temp.

It was Salale s-04 no starter used
It's in a 6.5 fermentor.
I think my mistake was I had it in the garage and the garage temp got below 60 at night so I brought it inside. Been in the primary almost 2 weeks.

Fermentation temp for SA-04 is 59-68°F. OG was low enough that pitching dry was not an under pitch. Keep it at room temperature for a week. As the beer warms, the yeast may be able to clean up off flavors. Take a hydrometer sample in 7 days fore a taste test. Off flavors will not diminish by removing the beer from the yeast cake, if it is an off flavor the yeast or time can clean up.

Could you have had temperature swings that stressed the yeast?

Keep the beer inside. Letting it warm to the high 60°sF to 72°F may have a chance to clean up the off flavor.
When I asked about temp swings, I meant while it was in the garage.

Back