Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtyler71

Reaction score
Got a brewers best kit and they did not give me bitter hops for a oct fest beer didn't know to after all ready started will it me ok i got two aroma instead of 1 of each

What hops and how much do you have? Also, the AA% would be useful. You'll probably be able to use one packet for bittering.

I'm brewing up an Oktoberfest kit from Brewer's Best right now and mine came with two 1 oz packages of Willamette (4.7% A.A.), one for bittering and one for flavoring.

Hops added at the beginning of the boil are bittering hops simply because the 60 minute boil makes the hop oil isomerize which make them bitter. If you add the same hops at the end of the boil the oils do not become bitter, the aroma is not driven off by boiling and they are aroma hops then. Hops added in the middle of the boil become flavoring hops because part of the oils that give aroma are driven off but not all so we don't really smell them but perceive it as flavor. Use one packed at the beginning of the boil and one at the end (or when the recipe states).

Back