Help With Wiring of AC Side of BrewPi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
I'm trying to wire up a BrewPi to use with Fermentrack using this wiring diagram from 100amp: Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!.

I'm running into an issue where it appears that the heating and cooling relays won't open. When I set the beer constant in Fermentrack to 80F, the program will call for heat, and the blue LED on the 2-channel lights up, but bupkis from the heater. The heater, in this case, is a 75W reptile bulb. The bulb is turned on, and works fine with an Inkbird 308, so that's not the issue. I've tried setting both heating and cooling to 'not inverted', per another thread. When I do, LEDs on both sides of the relays light up, but no heating or cooling occurs. I've tried resetting EEPROM and the ESP8266 without success. Given that the LEDs on the relay and AC - DC converter both light up, and the ESP8266 turns on and works, it has to be a problem on the AC side, right?

Attached are 4 photos of the AC side of the wiring. As far as I can tell, this should work, but it isn't. Am I doing something wrong here?

If it's not the AC wiring, any other suggestions of what it might be?

Attachments

• 20230104_225202.jpg
    20230104_225202.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230104_225247.jpg
    20230104_225247.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230104_225257.jpg
    20230104_225257.jpg
  • 20230104_225330.jpg
    20230104_225330.jpg
You should not have a neutral wire (or GND!) connected to the relay module. Neutrals from the loads should be connected together and then to the neutral input wire.

Strictly AC Hot on the common inputs (middle posts of the three post sets) then the wires to the loads should come from the NO contacts (the left post of each set of three as oriented in your first picture).

Then set the controls to INVERTED and you should be good to go.

Cheers!

[edit] Here's a wiring diagram to follow...

1672941643912.png

Last edited:
Thank you, using your notes, got it to cooperate!

Yeah, using the ground and neutral wires on the relay was sloppy. I was just trying to get it cooperate for proof-of-concept before putting it in a case, and since I had the ground/neutral wire from cutting the live, just grabbed that. I've changed those out for live to avoid future issues.

Just a heads-up if anyone runs into the same issue I was having: check your relay. I tore my wiring apart over and over again (after correcting the issues day_trippr pointed out above), and thought I was losing my mind because it *should* have worked. The LED would turn on, but no actual heating/cooling. After swapping out the 2-channel relay, they work without an issue.

The only thing I noticed about the bad relay was that it had a pin labelled "RY-VCC" instead of "JD-VCC."

fwiw, I have numerous projects using dual relay modules and all of the modules were sourced through Sainsmart. I've never had one fail and at least half of them are nine years in service. I know they don't actually manufacture anything but their suppliers seem pretty good on quality by my lights...

Cheers!

Back