Help with Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to need to run everything through a calculator like Bru'n or EZ to find out what will happen when you try to brew a specific beer. Whatever you add during the mash will change what you have, so without knowing what you're aiming for you don't know if you're in the ballpark or not already.

Your pH seems high for tap water, but I'm not familiar with much outside of my town. Minerals look pretty good, you'll probably want to add some calcium regardless, and some sulfate if you want hoppy bite. It all depends on the style you're brewing. Carbonate is high for pale beers (based on general recommendations of 15-50 mg/L) but fine for darker beers (100-300 mg/L) which is what it SEEMS your water is best suited for out of the tap.

Start with the chart at the bottom of this page:

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/understanding-the-mash-ph/residual-alkalinity-and-mash-ph

It seems to indicate your RA is somewhere north of 50ppm. What you do with that info is the where the real fun starts. :)

Thanks! I'm brewing an oatmeal stout right now so we'll see how it turns out

Please stay away from that chart on HowtoBrew. It is terribly flawed. John Palmer no longer advocates its use, however the chart remains to help illustrate that darker beers tend to benefit from more mashing water alkalinity than pale beers do.

Latest posts

Back