Help with using Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkasten12

Reaction score
This is my first time using and I am in the process of making a New Holland Dragons Milk clone. I have it in the secondary with 3.2 ounces of Bookers bourbon and 1 ounce of medium toast american oak chips. I have read many different articles on oak chips and they all seem to offer differing opinions. Some say to only let the beer sit on chips for a week other wise the beer will become to oaky, due to the thin nature of the chips they impart thier flavors much quicker. Some that say a week also suggest to let it age in the keg for several months to let the flavors meld together while other say to start drinking right away. Others articles say to let it age on the chips for months to impart the full flavor.

Any suggestions for how long to age it on the oak? I have had it on the oak chips for 1 week today.

Note: The recipe called for 4 oz of beam, but since I used bookers which is a much higher proof I only used 3.2 ounces instead.

If your batch is 5 gallons, I doubt you'll taste only 3.2 oz of bourbon in there, maybe just the SMALLEST of hints.

There are so many options and combinations when using oak chips. You can let it sit in the beer for a few extra weeks which will give it a huge oak flavor, but then you have to let it age to allow the flavors to meld together (which in return give it a unique array of flavors that melded together and have matured). OR if you are looking to drink this beer as soon as it is carbed up, I would start tasting the beer now and when it has the oak taste to your liking, leave the oak in another day or two and then bottle/keg. Then you can start drinking it as soon as its carbed and you'll get a nice oak flavor but it wont be the same as letting it age over time.

When using oak I usually refer to 4 general options although there are hundreds of combinations you could look at:

1) Oak beer for 1-2 months then let age for matured oak flavor
2) Oak beer for 1-2 months then drink fresh for intense oak flavor
3) Oak beer for 1-2 weeks until it tastes good then drink fresh for desired oak flavor
4) Oak beer for 1-2 weeks then let age for very subtle oak flavor

If your batch is 5 gallons, I doubt you'll taste only 3.2 oz of bourbon in there, maybe just the SMALLEST of hints.

There are so many options and combinations when using oak chips. You can let it sit in the beer for a few extra weeks which will give it a huge oak flavor, but then you have to let it age to allow the flavors to meld together (which in return give it a unique array of flavors that melded together and have matured). OR if you are looking to drink this beer as soon as it is carbed up, I would start tasting the beer now and when it has the oak taste to your liking, leave the oak in another day or two and then bottle/keg. Then you can start drinking it as soon as its carbed and you'll get a nice oak flavor but it wont be the same as letting it age over time.

When using oak I usually refer to 4 general options although there are hundreds of combinations you could look at:

1) Oak beer for 1-2 months then let age for matured oak flavor
2) Oak beer for 1-2 months then drink fresh for intense oak flavor
3) Oak beer for 1-2 weeks until it tastes good then drink fresh for desired oak flavor
4) Oak beer for 1-2 weeks then let age for very subtle oak flavor

So much good info here. Different oaks impart their oakiness differently I'd do the taste every other day after 1 week and bottled soon after it's 'perfect'.

Back