Help with Stout water profile/additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Lactic Acid to control SO4/CI ratio and pH of my mash but now I'm going to brew a Russian Imperial Stout.

After reading and listening to more information about water chemistry I noted that for darker beers more alkaline(or residual alkalinity) water was recommended... so I started wondering...

I added a few screen shots where I was playing around in Bru'n Water(great program Martin!)

I'm going for the black malty profile which is as follows:
60 Calcium
5 Magnesium
20 Sodium
29 Sulfate
41 Chloride
155 Bicarbonate

So a few questions:

What is the recommended pH for a Russian Imperial Stout?

Should I meet the ppm levels of sulfate and chloride and therefore lower calcium or add more and get calcium up to around 60 and keep the SO4/CI ratio of 0,7 from the profile?

Baking soda...
Should I add just enough to get to the ideal pH?
Should I add more to get close to levels of sodium and raise bicarbonate a little bit?
Should I add even more and go above the profiles ppm level of sodium and closer to the bicarbonate? While keeping pH in check ofcourse!

Thank you in advance!

hbt 1.png

hbt 2.png

hbt 3.png

In my opinion, you should only add enough baking soda to get your grain bills mash pH up to 5.3.

Boosting the mash pH into the 5.4 to 5.6 range does improve roast flavor. Using baking soda is a good choice since sodium adds desirable flavor in dark beer. Don't be afraid of sodium.

It's a mistake to use a chloride dominated water profile in a big malty beer. Using a balanced or dry profile will actually help dry the finish of malty beers. Sulfate does not make beer bitter.

Back