Help with Stinky water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrothersBrewing

Reaction score
So with all this rain in the NE my water(well) has gotten the rotten egg smell other wise known as Hydrogen sulfide. I normal have hard water but i have a softener. ive shocked my well before using a chlorine bleach product ment for reducing the smell.

Does anybody know of a filter type widget or what not i can use with my brew water. id like to mount to my rig in some way.

Cheers

Mine's the same way, I use bottled water when it gets like that. You might try whole house carbon filter, to see if that gets the smell out of the finished product.

Sounds like a Reverse Osmosis might be your best bet. But, you could try a charcoal type filter. Those are usually good at taking out odors.

Walmart, 1 gallon jugs. 50% spring, 50% distilled is a pretty reasonable mix. Sorry about the water, sounds like my parents water when I was growing up!

Try an activated charcoal filter first. Relatively inexpensive. And bypass the softener, salt isn't good for brewing.

I live in an area where we have really hard water. Lots of rust. I have a softner that is set to it's bare mininum setting to filter out the rust. We use a whole house sediment filter that flows into the softener, then the softner, then a seperate under sink carbon filter for drinking water and cooking. The undersink filter is made by OmniFilters. It does a bang up job cleaning up the remaining water flavor I find to be undesireable.

http://www.omni-water-filters.org/countertop_oct2.htm

I live in an area where we have really hard water. Lots of rust. I have a softner that is set to it's bare mininum setting to filter out the rust. We use a whole house sediment filter that flows into the softener, then the softner, then a seperate under sink carbon filter for drinking water and cooking. The undersink filter is made by OmniFilters. It does a bang up job cleaning up the remaining water flavor I find to be undesireable.

http://www.omni-water-filters.org/countertop_oct2.htm

Have the same problem. We use the Omni wholehouse filter with the carbon cartridge to feed the softner. Being on a well, I also installed a UV unit to sterilize, post-filter. This is just to be on the safe side. The carbon filter takes the sulfur oder/taste out. We have to change the cartridge every other week.
Pretty bad water.
Our drinking water tap isn't softened. For brewing, I use half from the drinking tap and half bottled water.

So i did some searching. I just ordered a whole house filter. 80$shipped 10,000gal lifespan+-

WaterFilters.NET

Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic chemical process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from water supplies. The process also has a mild anti-bacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic, effect and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale.

Back