Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangofoxtrot308

Reaction score
I was recently visiting my brother in Madison Wi and thought it'd be cool to make a beer that kind'a represented the city so my brother could drink one and brag about me to his friends. Anyway I though corn and honey best represented Madison cause I can't put cheese in beer! So I found a Kentucky common recipe and had a few questions. I've never delt with acid malt but I was wanting maybe a slight twang to balance out the honey and corn. Then again I've seen the recipe with no sour at all. So here's my idea of a recipe feel free to comment I need a unique awesome brew!

6-7lbs 2-Row **I've already patented the name Mad City Wisconsin Common**
2lbs flaked corn
4oz Crystal 80+
4oz Choc. or debitter
4oz Honey
* acid malt (maybe)*
1oz northern brewer?

I'd suggest using 6-row as it will have more enzymes to convert the corn. In my very very limited experience corn seems to have a bit of it's own twang. So if you haven't used it before you might want to try it with out the acid malt.

Looks like a great East Coast beer, 90 minute boil, add an ounce of Cluster or Crystal at the last 10 minutes and you're good to go.

So right now we're saying NO GO on the acid malt? I was kind'a scared about using this anyway without some real solid feedback and detail about how much to use never had a bitter before so really don't know.

Tried a spotted cow (cream ale) and really liked it. Have one in bottle right now but I used rice instead of corn I hear they use a nice amount of corn. So I really didn't want to end up with a spotted cow clone that's the only reason for the acid malt mention.

Back