Help With my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeasaur

Reaction score
I Just received my water report for ward labs and have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I mostly brew PAs and IPAs.
Thanks in advance

pH 7.7

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 215

Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.36

Cations / Anions, me/L 3.4 / 3.3

ppm

Sodium, Na 25

Potassium, K 2

Calcium, Ca 29

Magnesium, Mg 10

Total Hardness, CaCO3 114

Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)

Sulfate, SO4-S 16

Chloride, Cl 35

Carbonate, CO3 < 1

Bicarbonate, HCO3 73

Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 60

Total Phosphorus, P 0.23

Total Iron, Fe 0.04

"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

There are probably a hundred or more posts just like yours here, some with water quite similar and some with water quite different. You could start by looking at some of those. That should let you see where you stand relative to the herd and what options are available to you.

For PA's and IPA's, that will be a fine starting point. It's actually a pretty good water, however you will need to neutralize the alkalinity when brewing most pale beers. If you add a bunch of gypsum for pale ale brewing, then you may or may not need to neutralize the alkalinity.

You have taken the first through finding out what is in your water. Now you have to learn how to work with it to match your brewing goals.

Back