Help with my math??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJRJR

Reaction score
OK. So, I checked my hydrometer @ 60 degrees and it read 1.00 SG. My Wort/Beer was approximately @ 74 degrees. It floated to the 3rd line below the 1.00, which I believe would be 1.006 @ 60 degrees. Using the correction factor that came with the hydrometer, I'm thinking my SG is 1.008?? Does that sound right??

The instructions for the brew say it should be 1.012 to 1.015 FG, so I think adding water 3 days into the fermentation really watered it down.

Does this sound right? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

why did you add water? did you mix the water into the wort? if not you might have pulled a diluted section out.

added water under bad advice. i put the hydrometer directly into the fermenter.

if the water was added in with out being mixed well it could be on the surface throwing it off. Was it an extract batch or an all grain?

You do not want to put your hydrometer directly in your fermenter. You want a sample that you throw away. You can get lots of good advice here.

JJRJR said:
added water under bad advice. i put the hydrometer directly into the fermenter.

Yes, bad advice, I hope whatever you were doing it was with sanitizer you really should use a thief/Baster to pull a sample, then you can drink and sample.

Also, the water should have been boiled and cooled.(but it shouldn't have been added...)

Without any specifics, the water either diluted the beer a bit or it wasn't thoroughly mixed, which also would have been bad in causing oxygenation.

If something did go wrong you could wind up with gushers or wet paper taste, cardboard.

Most likely the beer will be fine so RDWHAHB

if the water was added in with out being mixed well it could be on the surface throwing it off. Was it an extract batch or an all grain?

This is what happened to me on my first brew. I'm thinking it's likely that it's the same situation here. If this is the case, I took a reading again after everything was properly mixed and I got a more accurate reading, I would say that if it's really bothering you go and take another reading later, otherwise don't sweat it.

Thanks all. This has been a learning experience for sure. But I'm loving it. Hey, what do you guys use to take sample readings? I had a hard time finding something around the house high enough, but not too wide to float the hydrometer in?? I'm also going to try to make a cooler of some kind since it's too hot down here. Not expecting much from the first go around, but really enjoying the learning. Thanks again.

Thanks all. This has been a learning experience for sure. But I'm loving it. Hey, what do you guys use to take sample readings? I had a hard time finding something around the house high enough, but not too wide to float the hydrometer in?? I'm also going to try to make a cooler of some kind since it's too hot down here. Not expecting much from the first go around, but really enjoying the learning. Thanks again.

You can use a turkey baster or a wine thief to draw the sample and the LHBS should have a hydrometer test jar for a few dollars-be sure to sanitize!

As for a cooler, you can go to Walmart or someplace and by a large tub for like $6.00, place the bucket/carboy in it and fill it half way with water, this will insulate the cooler and maintain an even temperature. If necessary, you can freeze some water bottles and place them in the water to bring the temps down, just rotate them in and out as necessary. this is really only necessary during the first week or so of active fermentation, then just keep it in the water accordingly. This set up works great! You can search "swamp cooler" on this site and find more imformation.:mug:

You can get a Hydrometer Vial from your LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) or online. You must have made an extract. Did you open a can of malt and mix? All Grain involves steeping milled barley grain in a MLT (mash lauter tun) at a controlled temp for an hour or more.

Hahaha. Yes, looking forward to it. Got tired of waiting for "real" beer so just went out and got some Grolsh. Anyway, just back from Home Depot and got a new 5 cubic foot chest freezer. Set her up in the garage. Now waiting on the Johnson Controls Electronic Temperature Control Unit. Got the freezer for $189 and the control for $60. Should have a nice fermenting place in a week or so. As for the current brew, not expecting much. I put in the fridge and been at about 48 degrees or so. Probably ruined it, but we'll see. I'm really learning. Thanks guys.

Back