Help with my kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agood1no

Reaction score
So I bought a used kegerator that had a CO2 system leak in the hopes to transition from bottling to kegging my homebrews.

I am totally new to the kegerator system/kegging, and I am having a pickle of a time trying to figure out how to get this keg working. I bought a new regulator and got a new CO2 tank, and the gas system seems to work fine, no leaks.

I have a sanske 1/6 keg that's about 1/3 filled with water i put in to clean out the pour lines (and to test whether or not the kegerator is working). But when i try and pour with the gas system on and working, nothing comes out. Like no water comes through the tubing and out the faucet, except a few drips here and there. I can't figure out if it's a coupler problem or a problem with the tower. The couplet (the thing you actually attach to the keg for pouring) seems to work fine - all the parts seem to be there and it attaches to the keg right). Could it also be that it's just because i have it hooked up to a 1/3 full small keg of water that its not working? It's possible I messed up the sanske keg opening when i opened it to fill with water, and closed back up.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

I don't have much experience with Sanke kegs but a couple of "no brainer" things to check. You said you have a new CO2 tank. Did you get it filled? Assuming that you did, when you turn the tank on and here the hiss of the keg filling with gas, does the hiss stop after a short time or does it continue? You should be able to hear the keg take on gas and then not hear any noise once the pressure has equalized. Since you said that you purchased it with a CO2 system leak, I have to believe the problem is on the gas in side of things, otherwise you would see water running somewhere.

Others with more experience or other ideas, please jump in.

Thanks DrewschBag, and great name. The keg is holding gas, and there don't appear to be any leaks (after i turn off the switch, the pressure remains constant which i take to mean is not leaking at all). I think it may be an issue with the tap/tower. but i don't know so i am hesitant to buy a new one. i didn't know if there were other non-gas-related no brainer things to check to make sure the keg is correctly tapped and working.

Did you cycle , ( remove and re-install), the connector to the keg?
If you have 10 psi of pressure on the keg, and the coupling is "made" to the tap / tower, that water is gonna move!...........Up the pressure a little, there may be a mold / beer gunk booger plugging a line somewhere.

After cycling the connector, hold the tap open, and ease your pressure up slowly, to not more than 20-30 psi...........Something should move!

That liquid won't compress, and with the sq. inches of water area exposed in the keg to the CO2......Something should move!

Back