Help with my First Keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I have recently purchased my first keg, it came with a Huge lot of bottles that I bought, and I don't know anything about it. I need to know things like what kind of keg it is, what type of Co2 equipment I will need to make it work, and also, how to clean it out. It has sat for over 6 months with some kind of beer in it from the previous owner and it is RANK!!! I hope it can be cleaned out, I would like to use this keg to carbonate a Hard Cider soon.

Here are some pictures of it...
CIMG1268.jpg

CIMG1267.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys!

I can tell you that it is a ball lock keg. You can probably buy keg kits from a few website, although I've never used them (I shop at my LHBS). Looks like you have the beer out disconnect. So you'll need a CO2 in disconnect, CO2 line, regulator, and CO2 tank.

You have a cornelius keg (these were used for Pepsi back in the day)...the post on it are ball lock. Here are great directions on how to tear appart this type of keg, its written to fix a leak, but will help you tear it apart and clean it: http://www.homebrewing.org/How-to-Fix-a-Keg-that-Leaks_ep_45-1.html

I would recommend getting a repair kit, that has rings and gaskets...you can get this stuff from Home Depot or Lowes, but since you have never done it, I would recommend buying the stuff from a vendor:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi.../soda-keg-repair-parts/used-keg-seal-kit.html

Additionally you have a picnic tap, for dispensing beer...works great with a tub of ice and a road trip!

CO2 Tank
Regulator
Gas Hose
Gas Disconnect (like the one on your dispenser assembly, but gray)
Hose Clamps

If the beer is bad, empty it out and clean. You may need to unscrew the posts and clean them out inside. Watch out for the small poppet inside, to ensure it doesn't go down a sink drain or something.

The IN post should have a notch on the corners (or all around) the hex faces. Make sure it goes back together that way.

Your dispenser hose may or may not be shot. Cheap enough to replace it. You can clean out the liquid disconnect (black) and the cobra tap.

Good advice. I was just looking for some info on this cause I lost about half my tank. So far I have 6 total kegs but only one out of 4 will hold pressure. I haven't fully tested the other 2. I was able to get the o rings from lowes.

Back