Help with my extract imperial IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made up this recipe and would like to know what you think. I'm open to changes to make this really hoppy imperial IPA. Take a look and let me know what your think

12lbs gold malt extract
1lb Briess caramel 40

Hops:
60 min-1oz centennial 1oz warrior
30 min- 1oz Amarillo
15 min- 1oz cascade
10 min- 1oz CTZ 1oz warrior
5 min- 1 oz simcoe and add 2lbs corn sugar
0 min- 1oz CTZ, 1oz simcoe, 1oz centennial
Dry hop: 1oz each of 0 min hops

Yeast: California ale

Please any suggestions would be great. This is my first.

Thanks

from a fourm member Denny, also quoted in the AEB thred

Extracts are frequently less fermentable than AG, especially something like "Gold", which likely has Munich malt and a pretty good % of crystal. When I was helping NB design kits from my recipes I had them add a lb. of sugar to the kits in order to increase the fermentability and finish at the same FG as rhe AG versions

Briess Golden Light has base malt (likely 2 row) and Carapils, but no Munich. http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

On Jamil's BN podcast on big red ales, he explained that extract makers are aiming for a fermentability appropriate for average beers rather than big beers. He recommends replacing some of the malt extract with sugar which I see you have done at 5 minutes.

In BCS Jamil says:

If you are brewing with extract and not quite reaching the final gravity listed below, try replacing about 1.3 lbs. (0.59kg) of the light malt extract with 1 lb. (0.45kg) of corn or cane sugar. This will enhance the fermentability of the wort and result in a lower final gravity. You can push this higher if needed, but don't exceed 20 percent simple sugars.

He uses 1.25 pounds of crystal in Hopiness is an IPA OG 1.065 FG 1.012, so I don't think your crystal is out of line.

My brewing software puts the OG at 1.102 with an FG of 1.031. That's well outside the FG specified for the style (1.010-1.020) for a 5.25 gallon batch (after boil). You might want a bigger 5.5 gallon batch because you will lose some to hop sludge. That gives you an OG of 1.097 and FG of 1.029.

I'd try subbing more corn sugar for LME to get that FG down. I've been doing that for most batches lately and I'm getting much closer to the expected FG and the beer is better.

I might use the Amarillo later retaining more of its distinctive character.

Thanks for the feedback. I made a few changes with my hops to get better flavoring and aromas.

Back