Help with my brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecav

Reaction score
hey all, I just acquired a used keg and I am trying to turn it into a keggle. I have everything planned out except one part. What is the best way to strain the hops out of the finished wort? I have seen kettles with false bottoms, ss braids and "bazooka tubes?" Until now I have only brewed with pellet hops and am concerned about extra hop particles/slime getting through to my fermenter. Is there a preferred method of keeping hop pellets from going through? Thanks all in advance!

joecav said:
hey all, I just acquired a used keg and I am trying to turn it into a keggle. I have everything planned out except one part. What is the best way to strain the hops out of the finished wort? I have seen kettles with false bottoms, ss braids and "bazooka tubes?" Until now I have only brewed with pellet hops and am concerned about extra hop particles/slime getting through to my fermenter. Is there a preferred method of keeping hop pellets from going through? Thanks all in advance!

There's no good way I've seen to strain out pellets that I've seen. I know bazooka screens aren't recommended for use with pellets.

I use 1 gallon nylon paint strainer bags. I put a couple of marbles in to sink them and tie them with a string and drop them. I tie the string to the handle so they are suspended in the middle. Most of the hops remain in the bag. I have only used pellet hops so far.

I use a hand-held colander while draining into the carboy. I put the giant funnel in the carboy, then the colander in the funnel and let 'er rip. This is a two-fer-one deal too. It oxygenates the wort too.

I used to worry about straining stuff out when I was an extract brewer, because there just wasn't that much. Then when I went to AG I noticed you are either going to have a few inches of trub in the fermenter, or a half gallon less beer, your choice. If you have your valve installed a few inches from the bottom of the kettle you can let your wort sit for a half hour before draining, and just leave the last few inches behind. It will be about half solids.

What I'm going to try this weekend is to transfer the chilled wort to a plastic bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in it and then pull the bag.

Most would say toss it all in the fermenter, but I want just the clear wort in my corny at the 5 gallon mark before I pressure ferment it.

i use ss braid, it clogged once out of 8 batches, im thinking about adding some kind of false bottom above the braid just to catch some of the trub

1MadScientist said:
What I'm going to try this weekend is to transfer the chilled wort to a plastic bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in it and then pull the bag.

Most would say toss it all in the fermenter, but I want just the clear wort in my corny at the 5 gallon mark before I pressure ferment it.

That's a really good idea!

joecav said:
Great ideas! Thanks. So does it make a difference if I use whole hops?

The bazooka screen will filter our whole hops just fine, and you can just pitch them into the boil.

Latest posts

Back