Help with Ken Lenards Red Hop aditions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
Tommarow I am brewing Ken Lenards Home Run Red the ale version. The problem is the the Mt.Hood hops I got have 3.7AAU. Insted of getting to 27 IBU I am at a stonch 13. While still using my Mt.Hood what would also be good hop aditions to up the IBU's ?

What I have on hand is

4oz My.Hood 3.7 AAU
2oz Stryan Goldings 5.2 AAU
1oz Magnum 14.4 AAU
1oz Liberty 3 AAU
1oz Northern Brewer 9 AAU
1oz Tettnager 4.3 AAU
1.5oz Simco 12.2 AAU
1oz Fuggles 4AAU
.75oz Kent Goldings 6.1 AAU

Here is the 10 gallon recipe
13 lbs 2Row
3 lbs Vienna
2 Wheat malt
1 lbs C120
1 lbs Special B
152 60 min

Are you saying you do not have enough Mt. Hood to meet the recipe's IBUs or are your Mt. Hood's AA% less than what are listed in the recipe? Liberty is a close relative and can be mixed with the Mt. Hood. Magnum and Northern Brewer can be used to boost the bittering addition IBUs and are neutral enough to blend in very well.

Your right in both cases the alpha acid in the mt.hood that I have are very low 3.7 rather than 6. I think that I will go with the magnum or northern brewer for bittering. I'm leaning more towards the northern brewer and doubling up on the favoring and aroma with the mount hood

Latest posts

Back