Help With IPA hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barroomhero1234

Reaction score
I have hops that I need to use up and I wanna' brew a highly hoped ipa.
I have 2 oz of cluster, 2 oz of perle and 1 oz of saaz. I dont need to use it all but what would be a nice recipe im thinking 2 row and crystal nothing big on my grain bill. thanks boys

Hmmm, let me know how that Crystal turns out. I personally love Simcoe and Amarillo for my IPAs, but I have 1/2 lb of Crystal in my freezer just waiting to be used for something.
Strangely, I've never used Cluster, Saaz or Perle, so I can't help you there.

Hmmm, let me know how that Crystal turns out. I personally love Simcoe and Amarillo for my IPAs, but I have 1/2 lb of Crystal in my freezer just waiting to be used for something.
Strangely, I've never used Cluster, Saaz or Perle, so I can't help you there.

I think the OP is referring to crystal malt. However, if you were thinking of using crystal hops, I believe that Sierra Nevada Torpedo ale uses crystal as a finishing hop.

Cluster are pretty subtle hops, and the other two are not really appropriate for an IPA. You're unlikely to get anything "highly hopped" out of that. They're just not appropriate for the style.

Cluster would be ok, but only really as a finishing hop, and it is still not going to be too in your face.

I would bitter with most of the cluster and save 1/2 oz for aroma. Then 1 oz. perle at 15, 1/2 oz. at 5 with the remaining cluster and the last 1/2 oz for dry hopping.

But, this isn't going to give you a massively citrus IPA, if that is what you wanted. More of an English IPA.

Rogue's Brutal Bitter uses only Crystal hops. The Clone I made used about 6oz's and it's pretty darn good. It's a unique/big hop flavor, definitely worth a try. Let me know if you want the hop schedule and I'll dig it up.

Rogue's Brutal Bitter uses only Crystal hops. The Clone I made used about 6oz's and it's pretty darn good. It's a unique/big hop flavor, definitely worth a try. Let me know if you want the hop schedule and I'll dig it up.

But that's 6 ounces for a bitter. Nowhere near an IPA level of hops...

I know I was suggesting he could scale up the recipe using his half pound of Crystal. Also the Rogue Bitter is more of an IPA in my opinion.

I know I was suggesting he could scale up the recipe using his half pound of Crystal. Also the Rogue Bitter is more of an IPA in my opinion.

No no no. He has cluster hops and he's going to use crystal malt... The wires are totally crossed here. :)

Jesus, so much confusion. I dont have crystal hops, i was just talking about a light grain bill and a moderate hop to see what i can pull out. I am gonna try out what David said I will let everyone know how it came out. thanks guys

Use the perle and Saaz to make a Maibock. You don't have to use a lager yeast. You can use an ale yeast like Rogue does for Dead Guy Ale. In fact, you can culture or buy some pacman yeast. Get some amarillo, centenniel, chinook, simcoe, or cascade for the IPA. Perle and Saaz won't work IMO, especially with the small amount you have.

Hehehe! Sorry barroomhero for screwing up your thread! I didn't read close enough and only saw hops when I read "crystal".

That would be great if you can lay your hands on it.

No no no. He has cluster hops and he's going to use crystal malt... The wires are totally crossed here. :)

I see that now. I am a dufus!

That would be great if you can lay your hands on it.

All Crystal hops, don't remember the grain bill, but it was mostly Maris Otter, and some wheat and vienna.

1oz 90min
1oz 60min
1oz 30min
1oz 15min
1oz 5min
1oz Dryhop

I think it would be even better with a couple extra oz's of Crystal;)

To the OP sorry for cluttering your thread.:mug:

Well, like people have stated, those aren't really IPA hops. I have an IPA that I use a lot of Cluster in, and it is fantastic, but is also uses Cascade and Simcoe. With your hop bill, an English style is what you may come out with, which will be unlike any really hoppy American IPA you've ever had.

I'd go for Simcoes, Amarillos, and Chinook for an IPA. As mentioned, those will give you that hallmark IPA nose and taste. Also, FWIW, I've found that it's possible to make a badda$$ IPA (not over the top, but very solid; 6-7% ABV; 60-80 IBUs) with relatively few hops. I like to start with the highest AA hop you can find for bittering, and then have the rest of your IBUs come from additions less than 20 min.

Back