Help with IPA hop bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Heating water for 10 gallon IPA batch right now. Targeting around 60 OG, 6.5% abv. I'm doing kind of a cleanup batch on hops. Here's what I have, I'm not really feeling it,

1 oz Warrior 18.9 Boil 60 min
1 oz Azacca 8.2 Boil 10 min
0.75 ozColumbus 15 Boil 10 min
1 oz Apollo 20 Boil 5 min
1 oz Azacca 8.2 Boil 5 min
1 oz Galaxy 14 Boil 0 min
1 oz Azacca 8.2 Boil 0 min
1 oz Azacca 8.2 Whirlpool at °F0 min
1 oz Galaxy 14 Whirlpool at °F0 min

Feels more like a 5 gallon hop bill to me. I do have a few oz of Azacca saved for dryhop. Besides that all I have for IPA hops is a bunch of Columbus and Exp 6277 although I may be able to run to the brewstore...

Not enough hops imo, but its still a decent amount for kettle additions. Also 3 boil additions are a waste, I have been converted to the big hop stand. Less muddled much more intense flavor and efficient use of hops.

For a 10 gallon batch I would be looking at 6-12oz hopstand and a similar dry hop.

If you put all your 10min, 5min, 0min in the stand and stand for a decent amount of time your'll get a ton of flavor.

Not enough hops imo, but its still a decent amount for kettle additions. Also 3 boil additions are a waste, I have been converted to the big hop stand. Less muddled much more intense flavor and efficient use of hops.

For a 10 gallon batch I would be looking at 6-12oz hopstand and a similar dry hop.

If you put all your 10min, 5min, 0min in the stand and stand for a decent amount of time your'll get a ton of flavor.

Thanks, I have tried nothing over 5 mins for late additions but I always feel like I'm missing the flavor from the 10 minute addition. Could just be my technique. I didn't get ur reply til the session was done, by I did hopstand my flameout hops for 8 minutes, chilled to 179, then added my whirlpool hops for about 10 before turning the chiller back on. Probly took 20+ more minutes to chill and my whirlpool was running the whole time. I ended up adding another 1 oz azacca and half oz Columbus at both 5 and 0 too. So, we'll see! Now I gotta figure out what to dryhop with

On my current IIPA, when I added my flameout hops, I let it naturally come down to hopstand/whirlpool temps. Then I tossed in my HS/WP hops and let those steep about 20 minutes before chilling and pitching. I actually split my two HS/WP additions. One was citra and one was nelson. I know nelson isomerizes(?) at much lower temps than citra, so I tossed in the citra at about 175/180, let that steep about 20 minutes, then it was down to about 165 and I tossed in the nelson. Just started drinking this beer and very pleased with the hop nose and flavor.

I always have trouble calculating IBUs with hopstands/whirlpools - it's a guessing game

Back