help with hop terminology?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitRow

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been getting back into brewing after about a 20 year hiatus and it seems like the terminology has changed a lot. Especially with regards to hop additions. I've been searching but I feel a little like a dog chasing his tail. I'll look for one term, and find a thread and start reading to see if I can figure it out, and low-and behold more terms pop up and off I go again. :confused:

Is there a place (here or elsewhere) that talks about what all these terms mean with regards to adding hops?

I mean some are easy to figure out, like flame-out addition; but things like whirlpool, hopback, FWH, hop spider, and I'm sure there's more I haven't discovered yet have me running all over the place searching for answers. Is there a centralized place that explains these terms?

Thanks! :mug:

whirlpool hops are just that. hops that are added after flame out while whirlpooling.
hopback is a grant that hops are added to and hot wort passes through them
FWH = first wort hops. Hops added to kettle before wort is drawn off from the mash.
hop spider is simply a cage filter hung from the side of the kettle to make it easier to contain hop matter

thanks guys.

one more. What is a hop stand?

edit: make it two more.... 'hopbursting'?

Hopstand is similar to whirlpooling, where the hops are added after the kettle is removed from the boil and the hops are added for a certain amount of time. I personally add them when the temp has cooled to 175 F and leave them for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Hopbursting is the practice of loading up the flavor and aroma hop additions in the last 15 minutes high enough to also provide the IBUs required for the beer, thus eliminating the bittering (60 minute) addition.

Back