Help with Hop Substitutions for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Hi All,
I would really appreciate help with hop substitutions for the JZ Hoppiness is an IPA and general comments on the recipe.

12.75 lbs of American 2 row
0.75 lbs Munich malt
1.0 lbs Crystal (15 L)
0.25 lbs Crystal (40 L)

Horizon 13% AA, 60 min
Centennial 9% AA, 10 min
Simcoe 12% AA, 5 min
Amarillo 9% AA, 0 min

Safale US05
--------------
First off, not to question the master but no dryhopping, WTF?
Secondly I am growing hops this year and would like to cut my costs with the two varieties I'd be growing. I am thinking of Cascades for the Centennial and Amarillo and Chinook for the Simcoe (I am growing Cascades and Chinook).
Lastly, should I dry-hop this with something or stick to the JZ recipe? Or should I throw up my hands and try another recipe entirely?

Thanks for any help.

:mug:

Your hop profile is already very different from the original ... maybe for the better, who knows. So, WTF, why not dry hop? This is a great experiment, and when you grow the hops you will have to experiment anyway, because you will not know the %AA, and the flavor/aroma characteristics of your hops will be different from commercial hops. So your idea to keep a recipe for which you're already happy with the grain bill, and substitute your hops is good.

Cheers!

I think I'll brew it right the first time, then when I get a harvest this summer I'll take your advice and go for it.

When you harvest are you going to do a wet hop? If so your going to need to use alot of hops because they weight alot more wet.

Also not to say anything bad about Jamil, but I wouldn't call him a master. He is very well know and he certainly knows his stuff but there is no reason you couldn't formulate a better IPA recipe then he could.

Your hop profile is already very different from the original ... maybe for the better, who knows. So, WTF, why not dry hop? This is a great experiment, and when you grow the hops you will have to experiment anyway, because you will not know the %AA, and the flavor/aroma characteristics of your hops will be different from commercial hops. So your idea to keep a recipe for which you're already happy with the grain bill, and substitute your hops is good.

Cheers!
True enough. I have so far been happy with taking small liberties with JZ's recipes and not as happy following them verbatim.

That said, I think I am totally changing my mind. So many of the folks on this forum love Russian River beers. I hear many people whose taste is far more refined than mine put Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig up there with Stone, Bell, and Dogfish Head. So, since I cannot get it in Wisconsin, and the hop bill looks right, I am thinking of going with a Blind Pig Clone based loosely on MoreBeer and more firmly on my grain inventory. Any comment would be wildly appreciated as I am headed to the LHBS today.

From BeerTools:
Kettle Volume: 7.4 gal (SG: 1.053)
Boil Duration: 1.5 hrs
Evaporation: 1.46 gal
Volume Gain/Loss: 0.0 qt
Final Volume: 5.7 gal (SG: 1.069)
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%

Ingredients:
1 lbs Maris Otter
12.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt
0.5 lbs Red Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
1.25 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
0.25 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.25 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.0 tsp Oak Wood Chips - added dry to secondary fermenter

Original Gravity: 1.069
Terminal Gravity: 1.015
Color: 11.5 °SRM
Alcohol: 7.04%
Bitterness: 82.05

Comments would be sweet. :rockin:

1.25 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.0 tsp Oak Wood Chips - added dry to secondary fermenter

Comments would be sweet. :rockin:

I am a big fan of Amarillo and Cascades. I Have Chinook and Centennial on hand as well.

It looks tasty to me :Drool

Aight. I'll brew it this weekend and update the thread with the results. If its any good, I'll post it to the recipe forum.

Brewed.
Some modifications were necessary since I used precrushed grain and got a whopping 86% efficiency. The final brew turned out like this:

Blind Pig Clone:

Ingredients:
1 lbs Maris Otter
12.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt
0.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
1.5 oz Chinook (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (12.7%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.5 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Centennial (9.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Oak Wood Chips - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Step Mash:20 min at 122 F and 90 minutes at 150 F

Kettle Volume: 7.8 gal (SG: 1.058)
Boil Duration: 1.5 hrs
Evaporation: 2.0 gal
Volume Gain/Loss: 1.73 qt
Final Volume: 6.0 gal (SG: 1.075)
Efficiency: 86.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 1.33 gal

I am going to bump up to 2 packets of US-05 since this turned out to be more of an Imperial IPA than an American IPA.

I would bitter with 1 oz of American Perle (8% AA) or Challenger (8%) and dry hop with 1 oz of Willamette. Otherwise I like the hopping schedule.

Well, it started at 1.075 and now, 5 days later its 1.012. I pitched two packets of SafAle US05 and oxygenated like mad (I was pretty tired of 1.020 blues). The mashing schedule may have resulted in an overly attenuated wort. However, I am psyched. I will be racking to the secondary today.

I would do a couple hop additions for the dry hop if I were you instead of throwing it all in at once. I am not sure if you had already planned on doing this

I would do a couple hop additions for the dry hop if I were you instead of throwing it all in at once. I am not sure if you had already planned on doing this

I was planning on separate hop additions since the recipe calls for it. But I was wondering why?

A podcast I heard By Vinnie from Russian River said that you don't get anymore hop flavor from dry hopping after 3-5 days and by doing hop additions you are adding fresh hops each time which is adding hop flavor each time.

I do 2 types of hops each addition then take out the first addition before I put in the next one.

Back