Help with hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
Im making a 20L IPA and have chinhook, citra and galaxy hops. Im thinking about 1 oz of chinhook at 60 min, but not quite sure about when and how much of other hop additions. Any thoughts?

What is your grain bill?

I'm sure someone can help you but you're not giving enough information. To calculate and recommend hop additions we need to know the list and quantity of grains. This info allows calculation of the OG (to calculate final IBU's) and suggests flavors you're working with.

1 oz Chinook at 60 should be good. Can you post your grain bill?

My last IPA had Columbus, Citra, and Galaxy and I wanted to feature the Galaxy. My IBU ended up around 72.

1oz Columbus 60min
0.5oz Citra 15min
0.5oz Columbus 10min
0.5oz Galaxy 10min
0.5oz Citra 5min
0.5oz Galaxy 5min
1oz Galaxy flameout
1oz Citra dry hop
2oz Galaxy dry hop
1oz Columbus dry hop

I think the galaxy was slightly heavy, especially on the nose. But it tastes great..lots of tropical fruits with some citrus and a little bit of earthy dankness from the Columbus.

Of course! Sorry!

Grain bill:
5 kg (11 pounds) pale ale
0,35 kg (0,771 pounds) Vienna
0,17 kg (0,374 pounds) Caramunich lll

Depending on how bitter you like your IPA's you could go 2 oz of Chinook at 60 mins. Personally prefer the Citra for late additions and dry hopping. Would probably use the Galaxy for you late addition as well. I usually start adding make late additions around 20 mins then go all the way to flame out.

Hope this helps.

I did:

1 oz chinhook @ 60
1 oz citra @ 15
1 oz galaxy @ 10
0,5 oz citra @ 5
0,5 oz chinhook @ 5

Then i will dryhop with citra mainly and some galaxy. Maybe also chinhook? Hows dry hopping with chinhook?

I would dry hop with some of each. My most recent Black IPA I brewed with Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade in the boil and I dry hopped with all 3..turned out well, but next time I will reduce the amount of Chinook in the boil..it can be a bit overpowering. Chinook is said to have a very pungent aroma..spicy, piney, and some grapefruit.

I'm not a big fan of Chinook except for bittering ... and then only in moderation. As said before Chinook can be a bit harsh. I generally prefer Nugget, Magnum, Warrior or Horizon. My taste buds aren't the same as others so you'll get other opinions on this.

Your grain bill suggests a light colored beer. To me that implies a degree of lightness and crispness in the finish. To stay within BJCP standards for an American IPA you'll need to have 80% efficiency. Otherwise adjust your grain bill accordingly.

That said and depending on how bitter you like your beer, I'd suggest using the Chinook for initial bitterness then use a single hop of your choice for the rest of the additions. There are a number of really tasty varieties to choose from. Here is one possibility:

Chinook - 1 oz. @ 60 min.
Citra - 1/2 oz. @ 15 min.
Citra - 1 oz. @ 5 min.
Citra - 1 oz. @ 1 min.
Citra - 1 oz. @ flameout - whirlpool and rest 15 min then drain into fermenter
Citra - 2 oz. (whole leaf) - dry hop into secondary or keg at 7-14 days

Your IPA should fall within American IPA specs with ABV @ 5.7% and 53 IBU (assuming 80% efficiency).

You can follow a similar schedule with any number of other hop varieties you may want to feature. Just be sure to check the AA% and adjust additions so the IBU's stay within reason. Alternatively and as suggested above, you might also choose to sub some Galaxy for some of the Citra and get a very tasty IPA.

Just be sure to mash a little on the cool side and choose a yeast that will ferment a bit cool (Nottingham?) to preserve that crispness and avoid fruity and malty flavors (unless that's what you are looking for).

Cheers!
:mug:

Back