Help with first multi vessel brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for a couple years now but have always used the BIAB method. I am putting together a 2V herms system using a counterflow chiller as a sort of external Herms coil. I am really confused on the mashing process.

In BIAB its really easy. Fill kettle with water, get to strike temp, add grains, wait 60 mins, remove bag, squeeze bag and finally boil.

I understand the basics of the herms process. Get water up to temp in the hlt. Recirc water from the mash tun until it gets to strike temp. Add grains. continue to recirc to hold temps during mashing. Then I get confused.

How do I get wort to the kettle? Just start pumping it out the bottom? It seems if this is so people also pump water into the MLT during this process? How come and how much water? Doesn't that dilute the wort? I plan on using a bag in the MLT just to make cleanup easier. Does that change anything?

Thanks.

So I have been brewing for a couple years now but have always used the BIAB method. I am putting together a 2V herms system using a counterflow chiller as a sort of external Herms coil. I am really confused on the mashing process.

In BIAB its really easy. Fill kettle with water, get to strike temp, add grains, wait 60 mins, remove bag, squeeze bag and finally boil.

I understand the basics of the herms process. Get water up to temp in the hlt. Recirc water from the mash tun until it gets to strike temp. Add grains. continue to recirc to hold temps during mashing. Then I get confused.

How do I get wort to the kettle? Just start pumping it out the bottom? It seems if this is so people also pump water into the MLT during this process? How come and how much water? Doesn't that dilute the wort? I plan on using a bag in the MLT just to make cleanup easier. Does that change anything?

Thanks.
You add the clean sparge water gently to the top of the grain bed at the same rate as your draining into the boil kettle. Continue until you get to your preboil volume in the boil kettle. If all your calculations are accurate you should get the correct pre boil gravity also. Cheers

Watch this video. This helps educate on the entire process of e-herms

3vessel brewing is a 3 step process
1) Mash
2) Sparge
3) Boil

Mash - grains + water circulated
Sparge - draining the liquid from the bottom into the kettle while you put an equal amount of clean water over the top to effectively rinse the remaining sugar off the grains. Same thing as "Squeezing the bag". You're extracting the sugars that are still attached to the grains that didnt immediately release
Boil - Same as BIAB

Back