Help with first All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
Just finished cleaning up from my first all grain batch yesterday. This is only the 3rd batch I have done. Two weeks ago I made the famous Graff cider which I racked to the secondary today while I finish my kegerator. Last week I picked up an extract kithttps://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-extract-brew-boil-off-og-questions-378665/ and had a little trouble with excessive boil off and some gravity reading issues. No big deal though, that is chugging away nicely.

On to today, the recipe I used today was based off of the Hoegaarden Clone I found on this forum. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/ohiobrewtus-hoegaarden-clone-ag-37991/ Only difference was the lhbs did not have belgian pils, but they said I could use german and I "would not taste a difference", so I went with the German.

Here are some of the numbers for the day. Mashing in a 10gallon cooler with a braid, bk is an 8 gallon aluminum with a propane powered turkey fryer.

10lb grain bill, mashed in with 12qts water wtih 170* strike temp. I added 180* water to the cooler and used that to preheat it and slowly stirred down till 170. Once at strike temp I added grain to the water and stirred the heck out of it. It settled nicely at 155-156.
-20 min mark, opened and stirred, 155*
-40 min mark, opened and stirred, 152*
-60 min mark, opened and stirred, 151*. Vorlaufed until running ran clear, approx 2 liters, then drained first runnings into boil kettle. This yielded me approx 2 gallons or wort.

Sparged with 23 qts at 185*. Temp reading after adding sparge water was 171-170, so I stirred till it dropped a couple degrees to 169-170 where I let it sit for about 10 min. After ten min I stirred, vorlaufed till clear and started draining. I made it about half way through and my braid clogged so I stirred, vorlaufed and kept going. Made it till there was another 1/3 left, and the braid clogged again. Another round of stir and vorlauf and after that it finished. All said and done I collected just under 7 gallons, so I overshot my sparge water a little. (Lhbs just got a new mill, it does a very nice job. This crush seemed a lot finer than the crush I got 3 weeks ago when I bought grain for the graff cider)

Pre boil gravity reading was 1.044 at 7 gallons wort. If the program is right, that means my efficiency was right at 80%, correct?

Since I had just under 7 gallons of wort in my bk, I boiled for 20 min before my first hop addition. I was worried I would end up with too much wort (in hindsight, probably should not have done this).

Wort additions were as followed
.5 Cascade at 60
.5 Corriander at 15
.5 Bitter Orange at 15
1 Worflac tablet at 15
.5 Cascade at 5

At flameout I had about 4.75 gallons in the bk.

I chilled with my chiller to 72*. When I transfered to the primary I stretched a paint strainer over the primary and procedded to pour absolutely everything into primary. I then pulled the strainer out and had a nice collection in the bag and maximized not loosing any wort, (or so I thought).

I checked my gravity after this and it came out to be 1.06. Is my gravity reading high because I boiled down too far? Or am I not doing math right somewhere along the way?

Also, did I screw up by dumping absolutely everything into the primary from the bk? When I took my sample for the hydrometer it looked like somebody had taken advantage of my wort.

DSC03965_zpse3d0ad4c.jpg

And yes, that is before I pitched my yeast, Not after. What is that from? My extract kit last week and the cider did not have anything that looked even close to this in the test tube when I sampled.

Pitched a 2l starter of WLP400, basement is about 61*.

Thanks
Alex

That's the whirlfloc. It collects the break material and settles. It's pretty cool when it works even though it looks scary.

Ohh ok. First time using whirfloc as well. I saw that in the test tube and I was sitting there thinking what in the world did I do to end up with this. I thought that maybe I should have siphoned the cooled wort to the primary rather than dumping and using the paint strainer. I have no problem dumping and using the paint strainer if that technique is ok/acceptable.

I pour through a strainer to catch some of the sludge and aerate. Seems to work ok! Incidentally, the whirlfloc didn't do that in two batches of stout. Might have boiled it too long on those.

Back