Help with eBIAB circuit design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenAyersSG

Reaction score
Hi,

I've followed this forum for a long time, but this is my first time posting. I wanted to seek advice from people with more experience in electrical circuitry, as this is my first adventure in designing an electric system. After reading a lot of postings here, and using The Electric Brewery website for inspiration I finally designed a circuit (attached).

I'd appreciate any advice that people may have, or any comments (especially if I've made big errors in the design!).

FYI, I'm from the UK, so 240V AC and 13 A supply is standard. My set-up is for 3 gallons, and I intend to use a 2.5kW element (10.4 A) and a 12V DC pump (0.5 A). Although for the pump I will plug in a transformer, I've designed the circuit to provide 240V AC for the pump in case I upgrade my pump in the future. I'm using an Auber PID, RTD probe, an SSR and heat sink, which will switch a Contactor for safety. The system will also have a power switch and pilot light, as well as switches and lights for the pump and heater.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

rect3554.jpg

Having a hard time understanding why the contactor provides any additional safety margin, since you have an element power switch in series with it. The switch is sufficient to remove all power from the SSR and element. I think I'd leave out the contactor, but keep the element power pilot light across neutral and the SSR output side. Then if the SSR fails, the light will be an indicator of that.

Brew on :mug:

Having a hard time understanding why the contactor provides any additional safety margin, since you have an element power switch in series with it. The switch is sufficient to remove all power from the SSR and element. I think I'd leave out the contactor, but keep the element power pilot light across neutral and the SSR output side. Then if the SSR fails, the light will be an indicator of that.

I was about to react with "No," but I see this is a UK build with only one hot line. Brew on indeed. :)

One other thing: you don't mention GFCI. Since you will be having electricity in proximity to liquids, it is highly recommended that you provide GFCI protection for the mains incoming to your control panel. It's for your safety.

Thanks for the replies. I was 50/50 about the contactor so I will probably miss that out.

The whole unit will be plugged into a GFCI.

Thanks!

Back