Help with co2 tank valve leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphisbrew76

Reaction score
Ok, so finally got the keezer ready:rockin: and kegged my first two brews today. I've got a brand new co2 tank, first time used. As soon as I opened the valve my heart sank when I heard the hissing sound of escaping gas. I pulled out the soapy water spray and I'm seeing bubbles under the valve:confused:. Out of all my research I haven't see this issue so I'm kinda confused about what to do next. There's a nut under the valve but there's not enough space to get a wrench in to try and tighten. So, question is, could this be the fault of the place that filled my tank? If so, I'll just run by there tomorrow and get them to tighten things up. Or, is there anything I can do now myself? Did I get a faulty tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Everything I know about brewing I've learned here. I'm sure someone's had this happen before I just couldn't find any threads about it.

Cheers!!:tank:

co2 valve leak.jpg

Do you have an o-ring on the threads connected to your regulator ?

It's leaking around the tank valve, not the CGA fitting...

If it's brand new, bring it back. I saw in the other thread that you tried completely opening the valve and it still leaked. This is abnormal, not something you should need to worry about with a new tank. When they filled it with CO2 they shouldn't have removed that valve (at least I don't think).

Where'd you buy it? I'd start by calling them to see what they have to say. You could try replacing the valve, etc. but it's new! That should be their problem.

Corny keg in OH. Yeah, I emailed just now. No way I'm taking this into my own hands. I may just drop by fire extinguisher place place that filled the tank and see if they could replace it. Hope so. I've got 10 gallons needing some gas bad.

If it truly a new tank, not just refilled, it should not be leaking where indicated. There is a packing nut in that area that is used to tighten the valve after normal wear. It may not have been set properly at manufacture. DO NOT attempt to tighten this yourself with a full tank. The tank is under extreme pressure, I believe somewhere around 1000 psi. Leave the regulator on and take it back to where you had it filled to show them where and how it is leaking and they should lead you in the right direction.

Ok, so finally got the keezer ready:rockin: and kegged my first two brews today. I've got a brand new co2 tank, first time used. As soon as I opened the valve my heart sank when I heard the hissing sound of escaping gas. I pulled out the soapy water spray and I'm seeing bubbles under the valve:confused:. Out of all my research I haven't see this issue so I'm kinda confused about what to do next. There's a nut under the valve but there's not enough space to get a wrench in to try and tighten. So, question is, could this be the fault of the place that filled my tank? If so, I'll just run by there tomorrow and get them to tighten things up. Or, is there anything I can do now myself? Did I get a faulty tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Everything I know about brewing I've learned here. I'm sure someone's had this happen before I just couldn't find any threads about it.

Cheers!!:tank:

View attachment 72954
Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I have a 18 month old aluminium C02 tank that's worked perfectly, I've probably refilled 60 soda stream canisters over that time. Then suddenly a few months ago it started leaking just under the cylinder valve. I took the valve handle off and fiddled with the pin, and somehow that seemed to fix the problem. And then a few months later, the same thing has happened again. In the video linked you can see where the gas comes up under the black valve. If I pop the dial off, the gas leaks around the pin. Any ideas?Leaking C02 at valve

Did you ever figure out how to fix this?
Welcome to HBT!

Please realize you've replied to a post/thread that's almost 10 years old. The OP hasn't been seen here since Sept. 2013. You can hover over a member's avatar or their name in the left sidebar to get those stats.

To try to answer your question, I cannot see in your video where the leak exactly emanates from.

If you think it's coming from the valve, not the connection to the regulator, one thing you can try, is opening the valve all the way, until it stops turning, not just one turn. There's a packing on the valve stem (inside the valve body) that compresses only in the fully opened position. That may help or reduce the leak.

Obviously you lose a lot of gas this way, and the valve body needs to be fixed or replaced. That can only be done when the tank is empty.

If I pop the dial off, the gas leaks around the pin.
With dial, you mean the valve wheel?
If so, it's not a dial, it's all the way open or all the way closed, never meant to be operated anywhere in between.

I've probably refilled 60 soda stream canisters over that time.
Is your large aluminum tank (the one that's leaking) a siphon tank? Meaning it has a dip tube going to the bottom? That's the best way to get liquid CO2 into your sodastream tanks.* Otherwise you'd only be transferring gas into the Sodastream tanks.

* A regular tank can be inverted (black valve handle pointing down) to transfer liquid CO2, but it's a bit trickier and you'd need a special cradle for that tank, so it doesn't tip over.

From the video it may be possible the burst disk has been blown or there isn't an o ring on the valve stem that threads into the tank but it's hard to say from just looking at the video. I would dip it in water and slowly crack the valve and try and see where the leak is coming from. I refill a lot of soda stream bottles this way that I use on my mini kegerator.

DMF

Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I have a 18 month old aluminium C02 tank that's worked perfectly, I've probably refilled 60 soda stream canisters over that time. Then suddenly a few months ago it started leaking just under the cylinder valve. I took the valve handle off and fiddled with the pin, and somehow that seemed to fix the problem. And then a few months later, the same thing has happened again. In the video linked you can see where the gas comes up under the black valve. If I pop the dial off, the gas leaks around the pin. Any ideas?Leaking C02 at valve
I once had a shiny aluminum co2 tank like yours. I would have to wait at the oxygen supply store to have it filled because I didn't want to give it up for an ugly exchange tank. Then I finally caved and realized that now I don't have a tank to maintain. Re-certifications, leaks, and other issues with the tank are now their problem. For a small fee, I was able to upgrade from a 5# tank to a 10# tank without having to buy a new 10# tank. Something to consider.

Correct I turn the CO2 tank upside down leaning up against a corner of the room. You want to fill the liquid not the gas. But I do use that sort of an adaptor to fill my soda stream bottles.
Exactly, that's the way to transfer the liquid CO2, not just the gas.
You've got a shut off valve on that adapter?

I wonder if the new poster, @Ailbe in #8, reporting their valve leak problem is inverting the tank. Doesn't look like it from the picture.

For a small fee, I was able to upgrade from a 5# tank to a 10# tank without having to buy a new 10# tank.
Thanks for that idea, and the confirmation that some outfits will do a trade-up!

I have a nice looking aluminum 15# tank that I can't swap, because they never have that (odd) size on the lot. So far, the 2 outfits I have gotten swaps from, neither wants that odd 15#, even in a trade-up with money down. :(

Last edited:
Actually I have 2 adaptors. One is like the one shown in the video but a little shorter and the other one has a hose with a shut off valve so that I can fill the newer style soda stream bottles that have that valve that is made to not be easily refillable.

DMF

Back