help with beer GF would like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
So i have been trying to get my GF to try different beers....

For years she has stuck with bud light lime and hard iced teas and the such....

I FINALLY found one she likes and will actually buy on her own.... Sam Adams Octoberfest.... which amazes me but I found one she likes..... she comes home this afternoon with a 6 pack of same adams winter lager.... i asked her why she got that and she said they were out of octoberfest..... she says she really likes it but the octoberfest is better....

My question to you is can you provide some suggestions on other beers she would enjoy... she is already talking about getting mix and match 6 packs to find others she would enjoy..... soon i will have her brewing... thanks in advance

Maybe an Irish red. They have that malty backbone character I find in Oktoberfests. Her breaking away from that awful lime stuff can only be good for you too, lol.

My SWMBO likes Killians Red. I made a nice Red Ale and she thought ok but not great.
She really likes honey amber ales but watch out as the honey ferments away 100%. She really likes making her own little batch of Mr. Beer High Country Canadian Draft. She bottles using 2 sugar tablets and tells all her friends. Works for me - she is having fun!!

Most chicks love Hefeweizens and Belgian Wits, why not give one of those a try.

Rev.

Good idea, if she's drinking fruity beers or hard ice teas, maybe a blueberry or raspberry wheat. Better yet have her pick out a kit or recipe of her choice and have her help you brew it.

YOU ARE IN A DANGER ZONE AND DONT KNOW IT! I got my wife onto different beers. She used to drink Mich ultra pomgranite rasberry and that stuff; however once she made the transition to the good stuff. Its Delerium Tremons, and other $$$ beers! I came home from work and she had a girlfriend over and there was empty SN hoptimum bottle! I asked her next time to get into the homebrews, i got plenty of those! Im just glad she didnt see the Burton Baton in the back of the fridge! All joking aside Belgians and some of the lighter fruity beers seem to treat the ladies right. linenkugles sunset wheat comes to mind(drop a quality slice of orange in it). good luck!

Well if she likes same adams just get a clone recipie, That way you will have a stock of her favorite beed and can buy some craft brews for her to try different styles.
My latest ex loved a friends homebrew cream ale. It had a mid 20s ibu, lactose, and strawberrys and blueberries in the secondary [he called it red white and blue haha]

It sounds like she likes darker, malty, low-moderately hopped lagers. That's what Sam Adams Oktoberfest is. If you can find it, Ayinger makes some of the best lagers. If she likes SA Oktoberfest, I guarantee she'll love the Ayinger lagers.

Also, the Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager is delicious, if you can find it in PA. They're based out of VA.

The Sam Adams Oktoberfest this year is probably the first Sam Adams beer I have ever liked. The winter lager tastes like concentrated christmas elf ****. Try some different Amber clones. Yooper helped me put together an Amber similar to Bell's and my wife has been drinking it all and she doesn't drink (allergic to alcohol). She always says "let me try a sip" and then steals my entire pint...

There's always the chance that she's choosing these new beers because she thinks that she likes them...when in reality she's just mildly interested in them either because you have an interest in beer, or because she isn't experienced in what beers she really likes. When this is the case, you could give her the exact same beer in a few months and she will have a completely different impression. It's not a female thing, it's just the way some people are when they first drink craft beer. They don't really know what they like or why they like it...it just tastes new and different, so they get the impression that it's good. If she keeps drinking quality beer with you, she might realize that she actually does like lighter beers like a cream ale or Kolsch...or she might realize she's a barleywine lover. At this point I find that it's usually a waste to brew a 5 gallon batch for a person who is just dipping their toes in. Additionally, there's the chance that she has a "beer-infatuation" because of you...and there is a chance that this will pass. In either case if you make something, you had better be prepared to drink it yourself if she doesn't want it!

Sounds like she likes malty English style beers. Either stick to malty lagers or grab something like an Abita Turbo Dog, its a nice brown ale with good chocolatey flavors. As far as other advice for Hefes or fruit beers..... Try brewing SD Slims Lemon Lime Hefe from the recipe section. Its a beer my lady and I both enjoy.

im gonna go this weekend and grab some different beers for her to try... thanks for the input fellas....

gonna brew something in the near future for her.... if she dosent like it more for me! haha

Back