help with a smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
I recently switched from extract to all grain because I felt like all my beers tasted the same. Now I'm a few batches in and I'm still tasting the same flavors that I was trying to get away from (even with different yeasts).

I feel like it has to be my lack of knowledge so I'm thinking a smash will help me learn.

Most of the extract kits I did used NB Gold or Pilsen. I'm kind of tired of cascade hops, & pale ales at the moment.

Can anyone toss out a couple of smash ideas to help me out?

My usual preference is abv under 6 (generally 4 - 5-ish), have had more reds/ambers that I didn't like than ones I did, but am not opposed as this is a learning experience. I do like dark beers but never liked any I've made in the past.

Smash? I think Maris Otter is a good choice for the malt. Hops? Simcoe? Amarillo? Centennial? Goldings?

Could the same taste be from too hot of a fermentation? I know all the ones that got away from me ended up tasting the same. If you can get it a bit cooler, maybe in the low 60s, a pilsen/saaz smash should get you a clean taste to hone in on the problem. I just did one that let every little problem through, too hot from alcohol even though it was only 6%, etc.

I ferment in my basement which is a fairly consistent 58 except for a brief period in late summer/early fall. Not ruling temp out by any means, though. I have tried a few different yeasts, made starters, skipped starters & still seem to find that flavor.

Brewing Better Beer is on my list, but if its not on a screen (& searchable) I'm not much of a reader.

I'm fermenting one with wyeast 1007 right now mostly because I felt the temp would be in the right zone for it, but want to do a couple of smashes to see if I can either find a lot of that flavor or get rid of it.

I've used MO as a base already & the flavor was still there. I don't feel like that means anything though. I'd like to use a base that I haven't tried yet maybe. I'd just like to make something completly different from what I've already done.

That said, is there a darker/heavier base? Out of the suggested hops, I've only used centennial once & since it wasn't a smash, I won't exclude it. So, really, I'm open to anything that doesn't taste like cascade, lol

Appreciate the feedback.

Ok, so I'm doing 3 gallon batches because I can't boil much more than about 4.25 gallons or so (yet).

I'm thinking 5.5# Bohemian Pilsner (since MO is a pale malt) and Wyeast 2565 Kölsh.

Northern Brewer's website says that Amarillo and Simcoe are both out of stock. I suppose they may have some in the store, but what about Hallertau? I don't think I've ever used those before but don't want an unbalanced beer.

I'm going to check the freezer. I know I have enough Cascade to make a pale ale, but I should have some other options in there as well and I want to get off the pale ale train for a while.

If you want a richer malt you could use Munich. A Munich/Saaz SMaSH is a wonderful thing, it has rich malt character and delicate floral hops.

Latest posts

Back