Help with a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
Can anyone help me put together a recipe for a Raspberry Pear Cider? im calling it Raspeary Cider.. any thoughts? any help would be great i have never made a cider before, I would like carbonation as well.. what do i do???:drunk::confused:

Could we get more info?
1. what abv you looking for?
2. what size batch we you looking to make?
3. did you want to use fruit,extract,etc.

Well, I've tried a recipe very similar to what your talking about, recipe is as follows:

1.5 gallons apple juice
2 cans old orchard apple/raspberry concentrate " rehydrated as directed"
nottinghams ale yeast
abv almost 6%

I made 2 1/2 gallons of this. The old orchard apple raspberry's ingredients were apple/pear/raspberry and I think a small amount of grape. I fermented for 2 1/2 weeks and bottle carbed. I definitely taste the raspberry, no doubt about it. I dont however taste any pear, but I've found pear is pretty sublte in flavor. It smells out of this world, very fruity smelling. It taste's OK, a little tart I think from the raspberry juice. I was thinking it wouldn't ferment so dry but it did. I'm going to try drinking it with a touch of simple syrup in the bottom of my glass and I think it will taste great and really bring the fruit out of it. I will say a little raspberry juice goes a long way!

yeah i knew the raspberry would be very prominent, so how would i go about adding more of a pear flavor? and make it sweeter? and do i just add the rehydrated concentrate directly in the carboy with the rest of the juices?

Yep, just dump it in with the rest of it. You can add less water if you want your PA to rise. As for making it sweeter and carbonated, there's not one great way that I've found. I've tried adding splenda at bottling. Definitely sweetens it up but you can easily overdo it. Some people say they dont like the taste of splenda and I have to say I've only tried it once, and I wasn't a hugh fan. I've tried adding lactose which is a non-fermentable milk sugar. It does the job but its not as sweet as table sugar so you have to add more than you would normally. I've tried sweetning several things and I've oversweetened each time. It tastes good at the first sip or two, then you realize its too sweet, so be carefull. As for the pear flavor, I dont know of any pear concentrates or juices. I'm sure they are out there. If you find one, let me know!

Pear is a delicate flavour, the raspberries will most likely overpower the pear flavour. Raspberry ferments out a bit tart, so a little goes a long way. You could always add some (thawed) frozen pear juice concentrate to your pear juice to increase the pear flavour. Though true peary (perry) is made from cider pears, which, like cider apples, are quite different from table pears. Regards, GF.

Back