Help with a mild or bitter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I would like to make a mild with some golden promise that I have or maybe bitter. I want to use the carastan I bought and I have a bunch of other crystal but not sure what would be a good recipe.

I have wyeast London ale 3 to use.

Here is my list of what I have for malts and hops, and if you see anything else I could make with the golden promise (like a Scottish ale?) I might be down. Thanks!!!!:

http://imgur.com/Mlc754F
http://imgur.com/yZf5YDw

Make a simple bitter. 90% Golden Promise pale, 7% Carastan, and 3% of the Fawcett 85L crystal. Use the 1/2 oz Northern Brewer mixed with some of the EKG for the bittering addition and more of the EKG for a late addition. Shoot for a 3:2 ratio of OG and IBU numbers such as 1.045 OG and 30 IBUs.

5 Gal US

7.75# Pale
.625# Carastan
.25# 85L crystal
Mash 153F/67C

90 min: .5 oz Northern Brewer + .25 oz EKG
15 min: .75 oz EKG

I like it. Haven't made a bitter yet. Thank you, it's hard for me to make recipes at my experience level.

Looks good. I'd lower the carastan a smidgen to 1/2lb and up IBU to 35. A one oz steep to emulate a hopback or a one oz dry hop would work well. If you go by something like Fullers' London Pride you have a very clear floral dry hop element to it.

Looks good. I'd lower the carastan a smidgen to 1/2lb and up IBU to 35. A one oz steep to emulate a hopback or a one oz dry hop would work well. If you go by something like Fullers' London Pride you have a very clear floral dry hop element to it.

The only problem I see with that is that my EKG is getting old.

I bought it last fall (2014) and it was already a year old (2013) crop. It has been vacuum sealed and frozen since I bought it. Although maybe opened once or twice as I have had them in 4 oz bags.

I suppose if they smell good I could dry hop with them?

Latest posts

Back