Help with a beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
I was given a beer kit from a friend. The Original Canadian Adventure Ale kit. I have been making beer and such for a little while, but i am clueless to these kits. I've heard they aren't all that good, and would like to make it a bit more tasty. It is a pre-hopped LME can, and yeast. Add malt, 1lb of dextrose and then pitch yeast.
I've got on hand a little bit of carapils and some flaked wheat. Plus 3lbs of wheat extract and various hops.
And ideas on what I should do???
Thank you.

Is that wheat DME or LME? Either way you could make something like an American wheat by using all the wheat extract and the kit can (which looks to be 4 lb of hopped LME). That should give you 1.050-1.055 in 5 gals depending on if you have DME or LME. I would add a bittering addition to get the total IBU in the 25 range (how many IBU in the can?) then add some American finishing hops and a clean yeast like US 05. That might come out more of a pale ale as I think you'll only be in the 25-30% wheat range but that's okay.

Is that wheat DME or LME? Either way you could make something like an American wheat by using all the wheat extract and the kit can (which looks to be 4 lb of hopped LME). That should give you 1.050-1.055 in 5 gals depending on if you have DME or LME. I would add a bittering addition to get the total IBU in the 25 range (how many IBU in the can?) then add some American finishing hops and a clean yeast like US 05. That might come out more of a pale ale as I think you'll only be in the 25-30% wheat range but that's okay.

It's DME that I have. I will just throw it all in. The can doesn't say anything about IBUs at all. I thought it would. I even emailed the company, and I just got sent the instructions again, and they didn't answer one question I threw at them. Heh. Useful.... We'll see what it turns out like, I guess... heh

Back