HELP!! Will extract flavor mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayPowHound

Reaction score
I recently made an american wheat based off of the Sam Adams Summer Ale and added about two ounces of blackberry extract as it went into the keg.

I was hoping for something similar to Long Trail's Blackberry Wheat, but at first tasting the blackberry flavor is completely overwhelming...

Is this something that will smooth out with age, or am I stuck with a beer that's so fruity only non beer drinkers will like it? There's no doubt I've got some friends who will love this, but for me it's a no go unless it mellows significantly.

I've been mixing it at about 1/4 to 3/4 with my 9.2% IIPA, and I'm honestly considering a straight mix in a keg. At 1/4 strength the blackberry flavor is present but understated, (which is what I wanted in the wheat..) and the malt/hop/alcohol content of my big ipa works better with it than I would have expected.

So should I mix up the whole batch, or can I hope the extract flavor will mellow over the next month or so and give me the easy drinking spring beer I was hoping for?

Oh man, I feel for you. I made a blackberry blonde a while ago that was overpowering. It did mellow out eventually. It went from really overpowering and distracting to just prominent within like 2 months and then it took a long time after that for it to be enjoyable to me. My girlfriend liked it when I thought no one possibly could, FWIW.

Back